What's new in the AV world?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by luciddream, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I haven't been on the internet for several months now. I've combed through posts in here trying to keep up, but don't have time to look through them all or test out all the products. I was hoping people could point out some changes (if any) in the past 6 months or so. Anything new on the scene worth looking into? Any major changes made to veterans that have been on the scene for ages (i.e. Kaspersky)?

I have always been happy with the free versions of Avira and Avast. Right now I'm using Avira and see that it really hasn't changed at all. In fact, it hasn't changed much for years now, and that's one thing I really like about it. I'm big on familiarity, and don't like it when GUI's change too often.

Any changes with Avast lately? If so I'd probably be inclined to check it out for myself. It's the AV I always recommend to friends & family, as they don't understand outbound firewalls/HIPS and the shields offer them some of the same benefits without asking them questions they cannot answer.

How about Kaspersky? I've just mentioned the 3 products I've grown to trust the most over the years. I know things can change though and I'm willing to give others a chance.

How about the AV in Comodo's Internet Security Suite? Comodo Firewall/D+ has become a go-to in my security setup, but I've always chosen to go with another AV that's been in the game longer. Has their AV caught up to the competition somewhat? Is there an objective test somewhere I can look at?

And please keep it civil. This thread is not meant to be turned into a "this vs. that" competition. Opinions are wanted, but it's not necessary to trash one product just to support another.

Thanks

2. sbwhiteman

sbwhiteman Registered Member

Big changes in Avast: Behavior Shield functional and is set to auto-decide by default. It feeds into the new Auto-Sandbox, which isolates suspicious programs. And Webrep is a WOT-like browser add-on.

3. IBadget

IBadget Registered Member

Panda Cloud Antivirus has a behavioral blocker and a URL filter. Unlike avast, Panda Cloud doesn't slow down my computer.

4. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Which computer did avast slow ?! :argh: o_O :blink:

5. Blueshoes

Blueshoes Registered Member

Macs are getting hit with Fake AV and Java Applets to auto download dropper trojans. More to come.

6. xandros

xandros Registered Member

big change of avast free antivirus
    big change of comodo internet security

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I have yet to see that and i have installed it on everything from netbooks, 10 years old systems, highest end desktops etc...

8. LethalBoy

LethalBoy Registered Member

A computer from 10 years ago? o_O :blink:

9. Coccinelle

Coccinelle Registered Member

:D :D :D :D This is a joke right.
    I'm not Avast use but Avast is the mostly light AV.

10. luciddream

This is precisely the type of conversation I wanted to avoid, but knew was probably inevitable. I appreciate your opinion of Panda, but no need to trash a competitor in the process. Besides, trying to turn me against Avast is a futile attempt. It's a product I've grown to love and trust over the years. I've put it on many systems with various setups and have never seen it slow a single one down.

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Bitdefender Total Security 2012 ;)

12. LethalBoy

LethalBoy Registered Member

:argh:

13. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I totally agree. I'm running Avast here (version 6). Its nice and light and no slow downs on my machine at all.

I have another machine running Eset which is always fine if you ask me. Want to check out the new beta of Panda at some point though to see how it is.

14. Trooper

How is that running for you today. :ninja:

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Very well. I love the fact they simplified the entire product. It covers all bases but doesnt take a hour to wade through them. I am really impressed. It isnt like we havent been waiting a few years for this.:cautious:

16. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

Kaspersky hasn't changed much for a while. Version 2012 will just be lighter, have improved HIPS, new GUI, have a more bugfree release than 2011 and 2010 and general improvements like that.

AFAIK Comodo's AV still has some catching to do (looking at the few on-demand tests it has participated in), although it's been just improving all the time.

17. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

I think trjam should consider posting AV trial/test runs on You-Tube! Seriously...he would be very good at it!

18. Trooper

I agree since he changes AV's like every day! :argh:

19. luciddream

Yes, I remember that name from when I posted in here before. I was hoping they especially chimed in with some opinions because I know he/she's seen them all.

There was once a period when I changed AV's as often as my underwear too. After discovering the free versions of both Avira & Avast, those days are behind me.

I've heard many accounts of the WebGuard in the Premium version of Avira slowing browsing down considerably. I don't recall if I tested the theory myself, but that would be a deal-breaker. If they could get that component to seamlessly integrate in while keeping it as light as the Personal version, I'd hand over the money without thinking twice.

I wish the PDM of Kaspersky was only in the suite, and not the AV, as many people have pre-existing HIPS/similar programs already and it's just overlap and unnecessary bloat. If they slimmed down KAV in that regard I'd be all over it.

I'm going to give the new Avast a whirl.

20. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Possible freeware real-time version for BitDefender.

21. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Prevx 4.0 BETA is somewhere around the corner. :thumb:

And ESET 5.0 BETA is available now. :thumb:

Testing Testing Testing *puppy*

22. Habakuck

Habakuck Registered Member

Pff...

23. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

Yes.You can test ESET.ESET won't slow down your PC and I mean the version 4 one instead of version 5 because version 5 is still buggy.Prevx as a complementary product is also good too.It did not slows down my computer and did not conflicts with my ESET.Sorry for my bad English and probably there are some grammar errors.

24. century

century Registered Member

Nice of you to put it so clearly. I totally agree with you. Avast seems to be the lightest of the lot. A few swear words would have been appropriate, but the moderators won't allow.

25. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Please follow the advice in this post for future reference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.