What's good about Ad-Aware SE Plus

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by coldplay, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coldplay

coldplay Registered Member

as title said, I'd like to know whats good about ad-aware se plus from experienced users. things like detection rate , ram usage and comparison chart to competitions like A2, SAS, etc. Thank you in advance.

2. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Its not as good as it used to be. Its outdated. SAS is the new Adaware TBQH.

3. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

Agreed.
    AdAware in any iteration is outdated, and to think that the once-informative sector magazines PC Magazine and PC World endorse that app is a clear indication that both have become dumbed-down for the masses long ago. It's sad, because back in the heady days of the mid-90s they used to actually be good publications and fun to read. Now they seem to be more concerned about TVs, mp3 players, cameras, etc. and have lost their focus (and knowledge) of PCs.
    SAS or A2 are far better apps; AdAware is just a glorified cookie scanner that isn't worth the install.

4. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hi guys :)

I believe there is a new version from Lavasoft on the way. Or at least it should be, that's the rumors I heard. Anyone knows anything about it? I can imagine they would try to regain their reputation...

5. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Have to agree also in regards to AdAware.

You hit the nail on the head about PC Mag and PC World.
    They are no longer pc mags but electronic catalogs.
    The reviews they do now can only be taken with a grain of salt that pertain to software. Too bad.:cool:

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I agree about the magazines. I have subscribed to PC World for about 8 years, and my subscription runs out in 2008. I rarely read more than 2 or 3 articles that I can benefit from any more. Same with PC magazine. They run me about $1.45 a copy so they're nice to look at. The magazine that's worth the money is Smart Computing.

7. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks; I have used it year and half ago, the plus version comes w/ ad watch, which has serious compatbility issues w/ quite few popular apps. I end up throwing it into the fireplace. No worth even a penny. Hope the new version will regain its footing. Until then, just keep our hopes up.

8. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

There is a new Ad-aware 2007 in beta stage. There's nothing interesting in it from a technology point of view (new GUI, incremental updates, Firefox protection)

9. coldplay

coldplay Registered Member

thx for all your inputs, I've decided not to use it.

10. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

As with all software, what works for some doesn't work for others.
    Most of us that posted here have used it at one time or another.
    I personally do not use it any more, nor have the trust as I once did in this program.
    It wouldn't hurt to take a test drive around the block with it.
    There are people who use this.
    You might like it, or not. But you'll know for sure, either way.
    Good luck, Dan

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I believe F-Secure uses AdAware as its spyware component. I do not know if there are differences.

Best,
    Jerry

12. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Adaware is obsolete and i would not recommend it.

13. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

I subscribe to CPU mag and as a subscriber, you can download versions of the magazine in .pdf format and Smart Computing from the online archive as well for no additional charge - one of the few sector mags worth the price.

I tested the 2007 beta of AdAware when it became available, and it's just a new GUI on a worn-out app.

14. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

It's a good cookie/MRU cleaner and nothing else. It is like already mentioned above far outdated and left behind in the dust of all other more aggressive & consciencious antispyware vendors like for one magnificient example, SAS!

You could insist beneficial improvements needed untill you're blue in the face but LS goes their own direction and becuase thet turn a deaf ear are where they are at today in this market, far, far, behind and for the most part a relic.

15. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

I'm a paid Ad-Aware SE Plus guy, and I think it's crap.

Time and time again I'll plant a single piece of malware on my computer to see which app's find it. Ad-Aware never finds it. ALL of the other app's I have are hit and miss, but Ad-Aware is 100% miss.

Further, from what the Lavasoft folks themselves have put out, it seems pretty clear that the new product is hardly revolutionary or even progressively evolutionary; it is what is in quotes above.

16. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

Semi agread at least with the first part.
    Malware has evolved where as Adaware SE did not.
    The updates being so infrequent when new threats(&rehash's) appear daily and it's inability to unpack many forms of packers rendered it crippled against the new stuff.
    One look at their support forums clearly illustrates this to any person who cares to check.

Adaware 2007 is in Beta yet is still lagging technologically behind the competitors.When i have pitted it up against the real ugly stuff it is blind or has choked on the task in hand.Not a good sign considering the *hype* coming from LS.

But on a positive side it scans quicker and looks better even tho its lame:D

17. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I used it for quite some time, at least the free version, but in the end, it detected nothing but tracking cookies and MRU lists, so I ditched it .
    It was a nice looking scanner, but it didn't do anything, just like MS Windows Defender (Beta). Handsome but useless.
    R.I.P. Ad-Aware :'( 1 minut silence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.