What's a monopoly

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vasa1, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Strange that the focus is on Google and Apple. It just strengthens my suspicion that the focus is orchestrated.

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

It's not monopolistic... just anticompetitive. Or at least Apple is - they sue anyone who tries to create a similar product. I don't know of Google creating "barriers" per-se but they definitely get people to use their products through things like default engine in Android or home page on Firefox etc.

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yeah, & a lot of it seems like 'Do not collect £200 & go directly to jail' these days LOL! :D

4. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Yes, defaults are not the issue, Google allows manufacturers to do what they want with Android, it was Firefox's choices to have Google as the default browser.

IMHO Anti competitive would be not allowing manufacturers to change the default browser or saying to Mozilla, you are not allowed to include search functionality from Google in your browser unless you make it the default.

Legal definitions of Monopolies and anti-competitiveness with respect to software and operation systems are not very well defined or tested in court and as a result its quiet a difficult topic to research and get clear answers to the details of what is when a software/OS/tech monopoly becomes predatory.

Cheers, Nick

5. Daveski17

I'm not so sure that this is exactly the case. For all I know it was tacitly insisted on in the new deal. Unlike SeaMonkey, or even Chrome, switching the default engine in Firefox (as opposed to just changing the homepage) is an 'about:config' job. I know how to change it, but I am betting many normal (not nerdy like me ;) ) end-users wouldn't.

Can you download an alternate browser to the Chromebook? Why doesn't Mozilla make it comparatively easy to change the default engine from Google? Do Google insist that alternatives to its search engine are not obviously or easily changed on Firefox? Could this be a subtle form of anti-competitiveness by Google?

I am sure that there are many grey areas.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Search engine not browser. I think you're upset about the Cheryl Cole thing.

7. Daveski17

Sorry ... my bad.

I think I just get excited thinking about Cheryl Cole. ;)

8. trismegistos

trismegistos Registered Member

In this day and age, there is no such thing as monopoly happening in the stricter sense. Just as the monarchy is passé and instead the rule of the oligarchs, the 1% that controls us the 99%. TPTB or TPTW? Thus, Oligopoly, perhaps? Oligopoly by the Oligarchy bounded together by some strange conspiracy and pacts with the dark cabals? Perhaps, no. There may be no secret deals or collusions, ie, the Bilderbergers or C300. Instead bounded only in spirit or in unison by their pure and simple Greed.

9. Daveski17

Kakocracy? ;)

10. trismegistos

Corporatocracy as what a self-confessed economic hitman, John Perkins, said most often. -http://www.johnperkins.org/

11. Daveski17

John Perkins? Didn't he play for Pontypool RFC?

12. trismegistos

13. Daveski17

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.