Whatever happened to Finjans' SurfinGuard?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Ngwana, Aug 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

In the early days of hueristics Finjan made a lot of noise about SurfinGuard PRO and has since only concentrated on Enterprise Solutions. Anyone knows what happened? I was cleaning-up my archives and stumbled on a copy of Finjan's SurfinGuard Pro 5.7 ( plus some other 'dead' products from Powerquest like SecondChance..) :D

2. muf

muf Registered Member

Hi,

Funny you should ask this. About two weeks ago i was going through my archive of purchases over the last 4 years and i saw my SurfinGuard Pro disk. So as i'm of the curious nature i installed it had it running for a couple of days. I noticed a major delay in windows starting up, and i noticed system drag while using it. I love this app and i'm sorry they failed to develop it further. But i think the previous time i used it then the slowdown was just something we users had to put up with in those times. Nowadays the apps we use are much kinder to system resources and in my case i'm used to more streamlined realtime apps. I found that the drag on system resorces from SurfinGuard Pro was unacceptable. I uninstalled it.

If they could have developed it and sorted out the resource problem then it would be one of my most prized apps. Even in the two days i used it, it stopped a number of things getting up to no good. One such was trying to place a file into my system32 directory, and all i was doing was browsing a website. I wasn't installing anything!

Lots of promise, but it appears that Finjan decided to opt for supporting businesses. They have set up partnership with some of the webs largest and well established anti-malware vendors. I noticed Kaspersky is one of them. Now if only Kaspersky could integrate the technology from SurfinGuard Pro into it's AV, but keeping the resource use down. Now that would be good!

muf

3. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

Thanks Muf!

So its 'dead', what a shame. :oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.