What your zip code reveals about you

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ronjor, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Then do you think there's no difference from having only the authorities know, and telling every random stranger your private information? So what if my zip code is "inescapable" (which it isn't, unless you never move/travel), should I not care about revealing it to that Nigerian banker?

2. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Come on man – 'Nigerian Bankers' – really! - Of course one tries not to provide personal info to all and sundry. That should be self evident.

The point I was trying to make is that people already leave a 'trail' of personal info during the course of their lives – much of which is available to quite a few organisations (both govt and private)
    So to what extent does an individual provide, or refuse, personal info? If you want a Credit Card, you are going to have to provide your address (plus a hell of a lot of other intrusive info) – the same situation applies to many other aspects of our daily lives.

You either do – or you don't! IMO that's why it's no big deal!

3. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

If I was to post my post code here in this thread, you would only be a bit closer to were I live. Not the exact street that is for sure, only the city.

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Mirimir has an address, with a post code etc. So do some of my other pseudonyms. But none of them are anywhere near my true address ;)

In the context of each identity, I'm not at all secretive about relevant personal information. Being secretive attracts attention, which I do my best to avoid :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.