What your zip code reveals about you

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ronjor, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://money.cnn.com/2013/04/18/pf/data-privacy/index.html?hpt=hp_t5

2. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

It's far too late to do much about this particular battle. Besides, all of this was being revealed without a zip code. If you've ever had an "awards" card or simply used your credit/debit card, even your ZIP has been known for a long, long time. The article makes it sound like it's some new revelation when it's a very old situation. The only way you're going to avoid issues like this now is by paying cash for everything. Even then, unless you change your name, address, phone number, email, the works..the ship already sailed.

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Yup, cash is king :D Store cards etc = :p

And 99% of the time there is NO good reason for companies/stores etc to have your Zip/Postcode, so Don't reveal it :)

4. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

That you are a hick. And, you are from Podunk. :D

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Better to be a hick from Podunk that nobody cares about than a someone from anywhere whose life is neatly cataloged in the databases of third parties they've never heard of or had business with, and government entities "just because". :D Then again, like I said, if you've spent the last 10 years on the web, used your credit cards in that time period and so on, it's already too late. You can't take that information back like "Oops, sorry, don't trust you anymore, I'd prefer you didn't have my life digitized". Unless you have a Delorean equipped with a 1.21 Gigawatts flux capacitor and a crazy white-haired guy in a lab coat.

6. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

This is not entirely true. Sure, if you did something in the past (not necessarily something bad) and you left a trail of evidence at the time, then it's easy for that trace to be dig up 10 years after. But when it comes to advertising, there is a bit of hope, because IMO the companies won't care too much about your tastes and preferences from 10 years ago, so it's likely that data is ignored (not deleted). And sometimes, that might be enough :)

7. aladdin

Haha! I was just being sarcastic about data mining. Not about someone being a hick from Podunk as nothing wrong with that. So what if they know who you are by your zip code, especially if that zip code is 9 digits and not just 5 digits.

As soon as someone signs onto a computer with network connection, everyone knows who that someone is. And, why should that worry that someone, unless .........

Best regards,

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  8. aladdin

You said it better than I could.

Best regards,

9. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

That clearly worries many of the people who read the privacy area of Wilders, for various reasons ;)

10. Carver

Carver Registered Member

A certain level of information exposure can't be avoided, but the rest of the information exposure can be eliminated.

11. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

So they know that I buy condoms for late night fun and advil for the morning headache. And why should I care?

12. mirimir

If you were female and living in Saudi Arabia, you would ;)

13. aladdin

If you are breaking a law than you should be worried, but if you are not than you shouldn't give a hoot.

In Islam contraception are allowed. It is woman's choice to use these contraception and not the man's choice. It is her body which carries the baby and not his.

Back to subject, if you are breaking a law than you should be worried.

Best regards,

Mohamed

14. mirimir

Yes, that was my point. Thank you for the clarification :) Also, my joke was in poor taste, and I apologize.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  15. aladdin

Hi mirimir,

Thanks for your kind comments.

I don't practice the Saudi Terrorist Islam, which was created by our Brit Masters in 18th century to terrorize Muslims, which still continues till today. The same are now terrorizing the West and at the same in cahoot with the West are now terrorizing Syria. Imagine Saudi Arabia is trying to bring democracy to Syria.

No more on this and back to subject or our comments will be deleted.

Best regards,

16. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I disagree. You should be worried if you want something to be kept private and it doesn't happen. As I said above, from an advertising point of view, that data will become meaningless as the time passes, and keeping it for long periods of time is not very useful. But, the stored data can be used for a different purpose than the one it was collected for, so it might pose some problems even if you didn't break the law at the time the data was collected.

17. aladdin

Hi Nebulus,

I kinda agree with you. You ought and everyone should read, "Feed by Matthew Tobin Anderson". Excellent book!

Feed is where the society is heading, whether we like it or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feed_(Anderson_novel)

Best regards,

18. mirimir

I like this vision better:

Last Trumpet Project, by Kevin MacArdrey
    -http://www.anarplex.net/hosted/files/last_trumpet/LTP.pdf

19. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I always decline to answer when asked personally... and they act bewildered, like they can't understand why and/or aren't used to it. lol.

They'll say: "we don't use it to spam you or anything", or something like that. And I'm like "well why do you need it then?" Then watch them stutter/stammer for the right words to make it sound benign. It's funny.

I never do it. Don't have a Facebook or Twitter so never exchange them with people either, than they look at me like I'm an alien or something, lol.

20. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Well here in england we use a postcode.The only thing a postcode would tell you is what large town or city you are in the vicinity of and i must say in my entire life i have never had to issue my postcode to anyone while shopping or whatever else.

Must be a different scenario altogether in the USA and other countries.

21. CloneRanger

Hi, gotta tell you, that's WRONG ! Plus it's All the UK not just blighty ;)

It locates the Exact street/road, and/or building etc, & area Very close to it. Put your PC into a mapping service and/or search engine, you'll be surprised :eek: In future you might think about Not giving it out, unless you Really need to.

22. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Hello cloneranger.

I dont know what sort of shopping you do my good friend but i definately do not give out my postcode to anyone.

Yes your correct it could show your exact address but only if the last 3 digits are included.

"blighty"lol...thats a world war 2 term hardly used nowadays.

23. CloneRanger

:thumb:

:thumb:

Heard in a www2 film's on TV etc, & thought it was funny :)

24. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I always give out a fake one via fakenamegenerator.com, unless working with companies/retailers I trust or the government.

25. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Big deal! The only people on the planet who probably have some anonomity in this regard are those 'indigenes' living in the Amazon – Himalayas, etc, who never had a zip code! (or maybe were born under a rock – and have lived there since!)

For most of us living in a so called 'civilised' society – ask yourself this:
    Does the Taxation dept know where you live?
    If you drive a vehicle – does the Motor Registration office know where you live? (and by association, the 'law' and other agencies have access to your info)
    And what about the Electoral Rolls – all sorts of agencies have access to this data as well!

In our contemporary society – you only need one instance of being recorded in a database, for your address – and other personal data – to be available to others. :ouch:
    Your zip code (read address) is a 'marker' which follows you through life and is an inescapable part of it – those trying to somehow remain totally anonymous are simply wasting their time! :blink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.