What would you recommend for online payments?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by laruru, Jun 16, 2018.

1. laruru

laruru Registered Member

What software would you recommend for online payments security? Windows 7 or 10.

2. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

does not matter - if your system is current, all patches installed, current (latest) browser version. major problem still sits in front of the monitor.^^
    if you dare - get a live linux disk.

next - which service to make online payments? i do online banking and paypal. in the past 20 years no flaws.

3. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

A clean machine :rolleyes:

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

What do you want a software to protect you from? Phishing? Keyloggers?
    In past I didn't use any dedicated software to protect my online banking. Now I use Safe Money, since it's integrated in Kaspersky IS.

5. laruru

laruru Registered Member

For example. Mainly browser stuff. Is there any way of securing connections on unsafe public networks?

6. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

Paid VPNs. Or at least encrypted DNS (there are free options) and TLS connections. Not every page has TLS, so not every connection is going to be protected against that local network.
    Added:
    Banks have TLS connections, so just check green lock in the address bar. If your browser and OS is up to date, cryptography libraries should be okay and connection secured.

Edit: Now -> Not

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  7. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I would also suggest VPN (preferably paid service). Just be sure to use VPN server from your own country so you won't have problems logging in. Banks usually block login attempts from "strange" IP addresses.

8. itman

itman Registered Member

Plus only used for online e-commerce activities.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  9. itman

itman Registered Member

Or, use one of the AV products rated 100% in this AV lab test: https://www.mrg-effitas.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/MRG-Effitas-Online-Banking-Certification-2017Q4_wm.pdf

Alternatively if your bank offers Trusteer Rapport, its use. It would give all the advantages of a VPN; i.e. secure tunnel connection, without the hassle of setting up and paying for a VPN.

10. mekelek

mekelek Registered Member

Kaspersky's Safe Money browser is isolated by a Hypervisor, can't get any safer than that.

11. guest

guest Guest

personally i use a virtual machine (Virtual Box) for that.

12. yeyo

yeyo Registered Member

I use a separate OS (Debian based).

I thought I was the only paranoid in the world. I don't feel lonely anymore :argh:

13. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

I like BD safe pay, it opens it's own safe browser with on screen keyboard

14. XenMan

XenMan Registered Member

PayPal/BPay/bank transfer/credit card on Win 10 in Chrome.

Never had a problem.

15. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Me, I use a Chromebook (beta or dev version) or Linux (MX 17 or Kunbuntu with firewall enabled) for all my financial work. IF I am on the road and only have my Windows laptop and Ipad, I will use either with IVPN enabled.

16. guest

guest Guest

you have yet reached the true power of the Dark Side of paranoia... join me and we will rule the galaxy ! :p

17. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

vpn is no valid security mechanism to avoid wrong pages or other. same for antivirus. fake pages or fake shops are tested against all current security software. forget this myth. a clean machine is alpha and omega.

18. laruru

laruru Registered Member

Is it true that Trusteer Rapport won't work properly with Sandboxie and VM's?

19. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

OP specifically mentioned unsafe public networks later in this thread.

Even if webpage was tested at creation, this not means webpage can't be added later to the blocklist in the antivirus.
    But one does not need antivirus for that: some DNS services or browser extensions also can check against blocklists of phishing websites.
    I don't think antiphishing protection really necessary power users, but it is certainly helpful for most users to increase security.

20. itman

itman Registered Member

Yes: http://www.trusteer.com/support/sandboxie

Nor is it compatible with most AV vendors banking and payment protection feature. You either use TR or the vendor's BP&P feature. For example, you would exclude your bank's web site URLs from the AV vendor's BP&P startup. In reality, quite burdensome since mine uses about a dozen or so; one for each web page it displays. And each web page has a unique certificate assigned to it.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  21. guest

guest Guest

I have Trusteer Report Endpoint, i saw here, there is other versions. Not sure which one we talk about...

22. laruru

laruru Registered Member

I guess it's the same. Is there any reason to install it in case of other institutions(ones you are connecting to) not using it, if it prevents use of sandboxing software and can also hurt VM?

23. laruru

laruru Registered Member

One more question, as EMET is officially taken out by Microsoft is there any reason to run in on Windows 10 computer?

24. itman

itman Registered Member

It will only work on earlier versions of Win 10. It was replaced by Windows Defender Exploit Guard; i.e. WDEG, in later Win 10 versions.

25. laruru

laruru Registered Member

Is it possible to install Trusteer Rapport inside VM and would it work properly? And what would be more advised, to go VM/Sandboxie route or Rapport as those seem mutually exclusive?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.