What would be recommended in addition to Returnil,to avoid capture of sensitive data?

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by Fly, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Windows XP Home Edition system, IE 7.

I understand what Returnil basically does, but how would one prevent credit card data theft at an infected website, and other sensitive data ?

What kind of application/approach ? Specific recommendations ?

2. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Sandboxie has a Resource Access feature (accessed from the Sandboxie Control tray icon under Sandbox Settings) that enables all access to selected folders and files to be blocked. However, as it only protects applications that are running in the sandbox, it doesn't provide system-wide protection. This feature is available in both the free and paid versions of Sandboxie.

As you are using Returnil, if you haven't done so already, upgrade to the latest version 2.01, which includes File Protection. This enables you to prevent read access to selected folders and files. Unlike Sandboxie this provides system-wide protection, but you have to temporarily disable file protection when you want to access a protected file or folder. As drive letters can be protected, this also provides a way of protecting non-system partitions. According to the Returnil web site, the File Protection feature is available in both the free and paid versions.

I have paid versions of both Sandboxie and Returnil and have never experienced any problems using them together. Sandboxie is a great browser protection utility and works just fine on top of Returnil.

You could also consider setting up a Software Restriction Policy. Depending on which Windows version you have, you may be able to use Windows to create a security policy. Alternatively, a policy-based HIPS such as DefenseWall or GeSWall may suit your requirements.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  3. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

4. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

keyscrambler may also be useful

5. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I use Keyscrambler Premium and Zemana. But of course I use Returnil with Sandboxie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.