What would be a good Linux choice for this specific use?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by roark37, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roark37

roark37 Registered Member

Hi, my work has recently changed from using the Cisco VPN to Juniper Network Connect for remote access and now some Linux are listed as being compatible. So I was thinking of trying it. The requirements are the Java Runtime Environment, Firefox(or Internet Explorer), and the first time you log into the website with secure id it will install plug in or active x and also the Juniper Network Connect. Once connected I would need to use a remote desktop app to connect to Windows work pc which I think is called tsclient but there may be other options. This is all I plan to use this older laptop for and it is about 6 years old and has Celeron processor and 512k ram. It currently runs XP and still not too badly considering the age. Would any Linux be significantly faster than XP for those specs? I was thinking of Ubuntu or Linux Mint most likely but I was not sure if you can get them without a lot of stuff I may not need? I also just recently heard about Jolicloud and since based on Ubuntu I thought it would be good because it seems to have Firefox, Java app, and remote desktop app. But I am not sure how or where the Juniper Network Connect would install. Do you think Jolicloud would work and be a good choice? Any other Linux you would recommend? Lastly, although I have not tried it I liked how Jolicloud has a Windows installer that seems to install dual boot and partitioning and seemed like a fairly easy setup. Are there other Linux that have a similar type of Windows installer?

Thanks in advance for any help.

roark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.