What works on 98SE?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mele20, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I have BD 8 free on my 98SE box. It updates just fine but when I went to use it for command line right click scanning the other day, it threw an error and said it could not connect to the scanner. Heck. I don't use that box much and I don't want an expensive AV and an on demand scanner is fine but if BD won't work on it...what will? I have no intention of installing any other OS as I happen to really like 98SE. I only need command line scanning and that is why BD seemed perfect and it was free. I don't feel like asking support about the error as I suspect they would blame it on Spybot and Spyware Blaster which are both installed. (That is what they blamed my problems with BD 9 Pro on that I had on my XP box).

Damn shame that the new F-Prot won't work on 98SE.

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

avast!, AVG and AntiVir all still work under Win9x.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

NOD32 too :D

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

:blink: :blink:

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Sure, if you give it away for free, then why not...

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Many will still work on 98se but make sure your Windows 98se have the latest version Windows Installer for 98se by Microsoft

The latest Windows Installer for 98se is version 2
    Goto Microsoft's main page and use the search engine to download it free and install it . NOD32 is great :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2006
  7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

u can alwasy stick with the current version of f-prot (v3). its pretty cheap and it works with windows 9x/Me.

otherwise id go with one of rejzor's suggestions.

8. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Avg ,and avast works well with 98se.I think the audience is out regarding antivir though.It may or may not work for you and you will need to try it and see.I cant use it on my 98se box (though i havent tried the latest engine which supposedly fixes a lot of the problems) ,but If it works fine for you ,then id go with antivir,because of its lightness and detection.
    ellison

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Thanks everyone!

I know NOD32 will work on it (I had it on it for two years and it's a great choice for 98SE). I want something free though, if possible. That is just a back up computer now for when I have problems with the main computer. I would use it more but it has a Trinitron 17" CRT which I used to love but after using this digital flat panel 19" LCD attached to the XP Pro box for up to 10 hours a day, when I go to use the 98SE box, I can barely read anything now on that CRT. I don't think there is anything wrong with the monitor because if I stay with it after about an hour my eyes adjust and then I can read ok...I think aging, very near sighted eyes, and switching between LCD and CRT don't mix well (especially when the LCD is used for such long periods every single day). Anyhow, since I don't use it much, I want a free AV for it. BD free was a perfect choice since I practice safe hex especially on that box and an on demand scanner for new product installs, etc. is really all I need. I usually read the email on the XP box only and if I read it on the 98SE one, I read in plain text, no preview pane and download to disk any attachment and scan (but BD won't scan).

I tried AVG on it back with ver. 7 when it was in beta and it promptly deleted a pet virus sample I had kept even though I had told it to only report, not take any action, when doing a scan. So, that put me off AVG...but that was still a beta version. I'll try AVG again. I guess I need to password protect the virus samples I have on that computer also. Don't have many anymore but I like keeping the ones I have for testing different AVs. Avast is big for 98SE. Antivir I don't think I ever tried.

I have to check the Windows Installer...I think it is the latest version but maybe not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.