What will I lose if I go back to 2.7

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by GrammatonCleric, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

Version 4.0 has been a total and utter disaster on my system, I might as well install Antivirus 2009.
    So my question is:
    What do I loose in terms of Real Time and Scan detection capability if I go back to 2.7, since it's the only version that is worth using in my current setup.

Will the detection, heuristics stay the same?

I don't care about cleanup capability, if I get infected then the AntiVirus has already Failed to protect me, and I will not trust that antivirus to clean up any infection from the system, in my book that system has now became compromised and requires a re-image.
    So mainly, if I don't care about cleanup capability and self defense (self defense won't do crap if the virus already infiltrated your system, the AV should stop the infection before Self Defense kicks in, if the infection is allowed to access the system up to the point that it kills the AV then the system is compromised), then will 2.7 afford the same detection capability and same Advanced Heuristic Capability as 4.0?
    Are the AH, and Antispyware modules also updated in 2.7 as they are updated in 4.0? Or does 4.0 gets the update and 2.7 lags back?

Thanks,

And for god sake please fix 4.0...basically you should have focused on 3.0 and maybe releasing 3.5. Just became every other AntiVirus Company releases new version each year does not mean that ESET has to. Next time, polish up 3.0 and listen to the beta testers before rushing a new version to get the marketing bliss, since in the end you might alienate more FAITHFUL customers with that method then you will actually gain.
    2.0 stayed in 2.x flavour for 3+ years.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Re: What will I loose if I go back to 2.7

Well they say it doesn't detect as much in v2.7, but in my experienced and personal opinion, there is absolutely nothing wrong with 2.7 and detection is just as strong.

I've been told there are lots of v4 builds flying around ESET at the moment, sounds a bit chaotic.

3. bradtech

bradtech Guest

Probably some protection against spyware.. More protection against thumb drive autorun attacks.. I am not sure if they changed the AH much or what other modules you miss out on.

I miss
    AMON
    DMON
    EMON
    IMON

lol @ nooblets who got confused with the old GUI. ;)

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I must agree. 2.7 NOD is been my bread & butter and IMO 4.0 proves it cannot outperform the predeccessor 2.7.

It is chalked full of really useful features as already mentioned. Why take them away?

5. sflorack

sflorack Registered Member

You'll have to excuse my tone in advance; especially since I see you're probably joking. Usage of the word "noobs/nooblets/newbies" is infuriating and causes me to look at the poster as an elitist boob. I am neither a business major nor a software developer, but IMHO you're missing the boat on this one.

Safeguarding your home PC shouldn't require a degree or membership into a club with a secret handshake. No one could possibly buy NOD (especially 2.7) and understand it's acronyms and often cryptic settings straight out the gate.

6. bradtech

bradtech Guest

Yep, I was teasing! I doubt they would because I didn't.. That's why I learned :)

7. sflorack

I agree, you really need to learn the idiosyncrasies to use NOD efficiently. Still, I don't understand ESET's approach in this regard. I'm all for customization and control, but not at the expense of spending weeks/months/years of learning something that should "just work".

This, and the fact that NOD 4.0 seems to be garbage, really has me looking at other options when renewal time comes around.

8. bradtech

bradtech Guest

I don't have any issues with 4.0..

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

No need to revert to v2.7 because v3.0.684 is rock solid. ;)

10. sflorack

You appear to be in the minority considering the posts in this very forum. ;)

11. tanstaafl

tanstaafl Registered Member

You're not serious? This is a support forum. What do you expect, a bunch of people coming here looking for someone to tell how much they like NOD32? No, people come here for help when they are experiencing PROBLEMS.

I'm a *little* concerned about the numerous problems that 3.0.x had, but 4.0.x seems to be much better out of the gate (not perfect, but nothing is)...

I'm still on 2.7, but in the planning stages for rolling out 4.0, just waiting to make sure I start off with a stable build.

My biggest gripe is - and has been for many years - the lack of an OFFICIAL upgrade guide for enterprise installations. It is inexplicable to me why they steadfastly refuse to provide one, but it's really my only gripe...

12. sflorack

One minute I'm foolish for suggesting that the majority of the latest traffic has been from users who are running into issues, and the next you're telling me you're a "little concerned" and still holding onto legacy products.

I do understand that this is a support forum. However, I'd expect more "how do I do this?" type of questions as opposed to "version 3/4 keeps crashing and giving me the BSOD" comments, followed up by "go back to 2.7" expert responses.

13. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Then I'm part of that minority also.;) :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.