What will a LUA in XP NOT protect against?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by acr1965, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I have a friend who runs XP with just one account. But the friend has a teenage child who enjoys myspace and a few other social web sites. They just have the one admin account that the whole family uses. I suggested to my friend that she set up a limited user account for her child and she asked what all does a LUA protect against. I thought it protected against most downloads from executing. Can anyone tell me what a LUA will not protect against? (ie- rootkits, other malware, CSS, etc?)

2. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

if you can try setting up a LUA with SRP (only available in Win XP Pro and Win XP Media Center Ed. although someone on the forums provided a tutorial on how to make SRP available in Win XP Home). that and a good free antivirus (i recommend either avast!, antivir, or avg) and you are good to go.

SRP is like an extra layer of protection that doesn't allow executables that aren't in special pre-selected folders to run.

here's a page that breaks it down nicely :
    http://www.mechbgon.com/srp/index.html

he gives some examples of viruses and how they can still work under a LUA without SRP.

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks zopzop

I'm still not at SRP myself yet due to security app confidence, but fully understand it's beneficial in more ways then one. Nice link.

EASTER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.