What WERE they thinking? Internet-enabled cameras under the security lens once again.

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by TheKid7, Apr 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

What WERE they thinking? Internet-enabled cameras under the security lens once again...
    http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...d-cameras-under-the-security-lens-once-again/

2. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Heh, lots of folks, including myself have been Googling hacked camera feeds for years. Many things have passed before my eyes that I can't unsee :D

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Haha like what? :D

4. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Ah, one of those My Eyes! My Eyes! moments.

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Things I won't be admitting to seeing on a public forum anytime soon :D Really though, it's pretty dang cool, yet very sad that thousands of camera feeds are a Google away from being watched and even controlled. I remember a school in Philadelphia that had security cameras that had gotten hacked. I could see just about everywhere I wanted (this place was a little bit too camera-happy imho) and even watched a few people working after-hours. I've watched house cams, school cams, office cams, etc. A Google search for "inurl:/view.shtml" alone will give a good head start, although some cams are dead/changed IPs. Plus you'll get some publicly open cams with that term. It's kind of like a voyeurs treasure hunt :D

6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I get it ;) I google that term you posted, but what's the chance of getting malware when you access stuff like that, I mean it's hard to verify what I will access when all I see is an IP adress basically :D

Not to get OT but what do you think about this site "a social networking privacy experiment" :ninja: :http://www.weknowwhatyouredoing.com/

7. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Chances are pretty low, unless you run into cams that need Java to view (which so happens to be the case for a lot of home cams strangely). Usually you'll just see the feed if it's still active. It's really no more dangerous than surfing to a new site you've never been to before. Plugins are the thing to be watchful for.

Hmm, I have differing thoughts about that site. On the one hand, it's kind of sucky to be posting content from Facebook profiles online for the world to see. On the other hand, if you're not making your profile private, you're basically doing the same exact thing. Even if you're making it private, privacy is the last thing you can expect using Facebook.

8. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

George Orwell was right.

Big Brother indeed is watching.

9. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Don't you love how people don't consider us to live in a Big Brother world? They say it hasn't gone far enough yet to say that. Well, uh, precisely how much more do we need?

But, yeah, it's far too easy to do this stuff. People are lazy, software and tech in general are fallible and the more we rely on it, the more often this sort of thing happens.

10. The Red Moon

I absolutely agree with you.

Next thing will be government sponsored camera,s within our very homes and workplaces.

Privacy will be a word which is truly dead and buried.

11. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

12. The Red Moon

13. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

It's precisely where we're headed, whether MS or someone else does it. Internet-connected devices are already in the home in the form of "Smart" TVs, stereo equipment..even refrigerators are getting in on the act. No one pays much attention to the abuse these things can enable, they just see the pretty screens and buttons that light up and snatch these things up because it's viewed as "progress".

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

yes sure, though what I meant was that if I see an adress named bestantivirus2025.com then that's a clear sign to me that maybe think twice before you go in there. But that's harder to do when you just see the IP it doesn't give much of an hint about what to come :D

I agree but I have no idea how this private/not private account works since I don't use FB myself, though sometimes I visit that site just for a laugh :p I guess private=just your friends can read and write on your page or something like that :)

15. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

The particular term I wrote out is used exclusively for CCTV/networked cameras. You can also look these up by using "AXIS" in the search query, camera names like "rz-30", and so on. Again though, watching plugins is a must as many of these use Java to view the feeds. I can only say that I myself have never, ever gotten infected by doing this, and I've done it for years. Risky? Perhaps. Fun and oftentimes interesting? Oh indeed yes.

Regarding Facebook private vs not private, private means, barring being hacked, nobody but the people you allow can see or interact with your profile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.