What Version Does This Site Need?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by cjwarner, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjwarner

cjwarner Registered Member

I just got off the phone on hold where the message always came back and told me my wait would be 12 minutes. 12 minutes from right now must be the calculation that is being applied. :(

Anyhow, I have seen NOD32 at a couple of sites and I have now used the pre-release version on my WinVista RC installation. I am impressed enough with its small footprint and lack of intrusiveness that I am recommending to a site that I service that they replace their ancient Symantec Corporate Edition v7 with some NOD32 configuration. I told them the Symantec Corporate stuff was way out of date and that it probably isn't picking up everything that may come along in today's wild wild west of virus incarnations. [If I'm not correct, it's a great story anyway. :D ]

My question is what version to get pricing for so they can get over the sticker shock and I can get it purchased and installed before year end. o_O

I saw a LAN server thing, I saw mention of an Enterprise solution, and saw mention of Server modules, etc. My eyes just glazed over trying to absorb what in the heck I really need for this small site.

They have 7 or 8 computers in-house where they have Symantec Corporate Edition on a Win2003 Server that gets the updates and pushes them to each workstation. Since their internet connection speed is 256kbps up and down, this is a great methodology for them so they have some bandwidth left to get some other work done. They also have a sales laptop that never ever runs within the office environment. It currently has Norton 2004 on it and that waste of bytes is very intrusive and bogs down the laptop, IMHO.

Anyhow, is there one solution for this company?

Thanks in advance.

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello !

It is true that Symantec Corp 7 and Norton 2004 are ancient versions . Their engines are too old to catch all the new malware . This company/people really need to get something new . NOD32 is an excellent solutions and protection against all kind of threats .

There are many variants for them to get NOD32-different discounts/license versions/protection for type machines ... I am not sure this is apporpriate for the forum . I suggest you contact ESET or ESET representative , explain them what you need and I am sure they'll help you soon :

ESET www.eset.com
    ESET USA Contact http://www.eset.com/company/contact.php
    ESET Global http://www.eset.com/partners/worldwide.php
    More information about NOD32 http://www.eset.com/products/index.php
    Useful article for corporate users http://www.eset.com/company/article.php?contentID=1710

Here is something which you should know . You need to keep only 1 AV software at the same time . Norton (especially old versions) doesn't remove properly . After removing them in the normal way (Control Panel->Add/Remove programs) you should use a special tool created by Symantec, here .

;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2006
  3. EvilDave UK

EvilDave UK Registered Member

Doh! You beat me to it! :p

4. cjwarner

So, I should get on the phone again and be put on eternal hold? <s>

Maybe some other day.

Thanks.

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Where are you from ? Country , city , area . Thanks . :thumb:

6. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

The company will require Enterprise Edition since the site includes a server.

Cheers :)

7. cjwarner

I know that Enterprise seems like a logical choice.

But, what is the significance of the LAN Update Server?

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi cjwarner, welcome to Wilders.

Answer can be found HERE

Cheers :D

9. cjwarner

So, that's all about the Enterprise Server install. o_O??

10. Blackspear

If this is a NEW purchase, then they will require a license for the Enterprise Edition, as there is a Server involved.

You can set up NOD32 on a Server and network as simple or as complex as you want. With Enterprise Edition you have the ability to use Remote Administration as described HERE or on such a small network you can simply set up a mirror on the server and point the workstations to it for updating, or to simplify this even further on such a small network you can have each machine update directly from the internet (you will still require a Enterprise Edition license with a Server involved).

11. cjwarner

But what is the product that is labelled "LAN Update Server" at the Eset web site?

I am just trying to figure out what that means in light of the fact there is an Enterprise version that seems to offer LAN Update services. It isn't adding up for me as I am not familiar with either of the two yet.

TIA

12. Blackspear

Standard Edition for NT / 2000 / XP / 2003 = ndntenst.exe for stand-alone machines and workstations.

Update Server Mirror Edition = ndntenad.exe for creation of a mirror that allows workstations to update from it instead of (or alongside) the internet.

Remote Administrator Server (RAS) = rasrvnten.exe for installation onto the Server.

Remote Administrator Console (RAC) = raconsnten.exe for remotely administrating the Enterprise Edition.

XMON – Microsoft Exchange plugin = ndntenxs.exe for use with Microsoft Exchange.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.