What utilites, security programs, and other software do you guys use ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Happy-Dude, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Happy-Dude

Happy-Dude Registered Member

I'm just wondering, what are the software used by members of Avast! fourms? I've got a sense of what others use by their topics and posts, but I guess this topic would be a place where we can see it all !! Lets try to keep this updated now, shall we .

Here's the list:

Security Setup-
    Avast! Antivirus [Antivirus]
    COMODO Firewall Pro [Firewall]
    Winpatrol, Cyberhawk [HIPS]
    A-Squared Free, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, SpywareBlaster, Windows Defender, AVG Anti-Spyware [Antispyware and Antitrojan)
    Panda Anti-Rootkit [Antirootkit]
    HiJackThis [System Logging and Malware Inspecting]
    Microsoft Security Baseline Analyzer [Microsoft Windows Security Status Logging]

System Managment and Tweak
    Tweak UI Powertoy, Fresh UI [Customization]
    Alt-Tab Replacement Powertoy, Open Command Line Window Here Powertoy [Tweaking]
    JKDefrag+JKDefragGUI [Disk Deframenting]
    EasyCleaner, Wise Registry Cleaner, CCleaner [File and Registry Cleaning]
    NTREGOPT [Registry Optimization/Defragmantation]
    SIW [System Information Tool]
    Process Explorer [Advanced Task Manager Tool]
    7-Zip File Manager [File Archiver and Management]
    Windows Desktop Search [Desktop Search]

Browsers and Browser Add-Ons
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 7, Mozilla Firefox 2 [Browsers]
    IE7Pro, McAfee SiteAdvisor [IE7 Add-Ons]
    NoScript, Download Statusbar, McAfee SiteAdvisor, Dr.Web anti-virus link checker [FF2 Add-Ons]

Instant Messengers
    Trillian, Pidgin [Multi-Service Instant Messenger]

Office ProductivityAdobe Reader 7.0 [PDF Format Reader]
    Microsoft Word 2000/XP, Microsoft Works 2002 (though I should mention that I removed a lot of the installed programs to conserve space and since I don't really need it or use the programs in any way, like Encarta 2002, which is also online, and Trips and Tips) [Office Productivity Software]

Media Players and Managment
    Windows Media Player, Winamp, DivX Player, Real Alternative, QuickTime Alternative, InterVideo WinDVD 4 [Media Players]
    Nero 6 Ultra Edition [Media Managment and Burning]

Alright, and that's it !! And don't forget to take advantage of Windows' built-in tools (like Windows Update, System Restore, Disk Defragmenter, Disk Cleanup, etc. and etc.). I'll try to keep this list updated (with color coding to indicate changes), and all these programs I recommend to others !! Now you guys post a list of your software !!

P.S.-
    Guys, do you think that I should add Secunia Software Inspector, XPAntiSpy, and a pop-up blocker (like Proxomitron or Ad-Blocker) to my security setup ? I do feel that I'll do this eventually, since sometimes it will become a necessity, and I would need some recommendations on the programs that I should pick, use, and install. Any recommendations, guys ? Also, you guys can recommend any other software to me and I will consider what I can do with it !!

2. ShizzySupra

ShizzySupra Registered Member

This has kinda been covered quite a lot but...

I would ditch your Window's Defender and Ad-Aware and run SAS Pro/AVG as anti-malware security. You don't need any more software than what you got, in addition the ones you named are relatively unheard of/shady.

As for a pop up blocker you could always just go SUPERAdBlocker which includes SAS. Kill two birds with one stone. :thumb:

3. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

In addition, you might want to update your version of Adobe Reader to version 8. At least that's what Secunia Software Inspector would advise.

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I would add XPAntispy to your setup.

For a registry cleaner/junk file remover utility I use System TuneUp.
    Ice Sword is a good antirootkit program.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I'm not a member of the avast! forums, so I wonder how I fit in here, but if you wush to know what utilities, security programs, and other software I use, I'll be glad to pipe in.
    Mrk

6. Happy-Dude

Happy-Dude Registered Member

Well, I don't truly plan to remove any programs because of redundancy, because it does become useful at times, unless the programs have some major conflicting issues. So far, no conflicts on my part.

Oh, just on the side note, I defragged my PC with JKDefrag, and as ususal, the inital defrags took a while [14 hours] (approx. six hours with command line: -a 9 -f 5 -d 2 <--- meaning defragging by sorting files by last acess with newest first, and followed by 8 hours with: -a 3 -f 5 -d 2, a "near" default defrag mode, completely redoing the sorting that was done before.)

After, it the -a 3 -f 5 -d 2, I did another of the same command and it only took 8 MINUTES !!! Wow ... Completely surprised. Anyway, the end result, I'm happy. And I need to shut off the PC soon after all night of defragging, right after updating and reading some news on stuff ... The tower is getting a bit warm.

EDIT-
    By the way, guys, do you know how to get JKDefrag GUI working ? I couldn't get it working, and from what I'm guessing, its because I did not put it in the right folder to act on. Any help ?

Oh yeah, Tester, tell me a bit more about XP Anti-Spy, I'm thinking I might put it into use. Thanks.

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

XP Antispy is excellent for controlling MicroSoft services in XP.

Check the link below.
    The bottom half of the page is in English.
    I've been using XP Antispy for something like 5 years and I wouldn't be without it.

http://xp-antispy.org/index.php?lang=en

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.