what to use with kav ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by kracow, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kracow

kracow Registered Member

hello

im using kav5, which mostly relies on definitions to detect viruses. i want to use a heuristics tool alongside kav. ive heard about privx(or is it prevx) and there's one other one, ewido? i may have got the name wrong.

anyway, can these be used together with kav without any conflicts? and will they complement kav ? what about additional slowdowns?

i would be very happy if a member could help me out and list this kind of programs that can be used with kav, and what advantages/disadvantages the different combinations would create

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

? You don't need anything along KAV. Heuristics detect about 20% of those samples that are covered by KAV signatures anyway.

3. peachtreecity

peachtreecity Registered Member

I use NOD32 as my resident scanner and KAV5 as my on-demand scanner. The 2 play together well on my system. NOD32's heuristics are second to none.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Welcom kracow,

The programs you mention carry out different functions;

1. Prevx protects your important file systems from being added/modified/deleted. Simply, Prevx will alert (and ask you to allow or deny) when something tries to make or modify a file in the Windows (or system) directory. It will therefore block many/most spyware, worm, trojan and other malware threats.

2. While, Ewido is an Anti-trojan program.

But it is difficult to work out from your post what software you are exactly looking for o_O

Unless you visit high-risk sites, KAV by itself, as RejZoR pointed out, should be sufficient by itself to protect you against trojans and viruses.

If you specifically want to obtain better heuristic detection of viruses alongside KAV, running NOD/Dr Web as your primary scanner/backup AV may be a possibility.

However, if you are looking at other software for protection against other malware threats, take a look at Blackspear's post in this thread; https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=62972&highlight=prevx

Then decide where you want the added protection and then trial some of your choices to see whether they are compatible with KAV on your system.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  5. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Several members here use KAV and Ewido alongside each other without any problems. I have Ewido as a sort of 'insurance' policy, but it doesn't get much chance to 'find' things because KAV always gets there first! But it is a good prog and I do feel safer with the Guard in my tray. My anti-spyware progs never find anything either - but I'm not going to get rid of them on that account! The point is that they WOULD find things if it was there to find.

I'm not familiar with Prevx because it has too much overlap with my other security progs and is therefore unnecessary for me - I prefer to use Process Guard.

6. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

My primary security defense consists of:

1) KAV
    2) ProcessGuard 3.0 (detects unauthorized dll injections, rootkits, keyloggers)
    3) Firefox 1.0
    4) ZoneAlarm

This set of security programs has so far stopped everything. Some people use Prevx in lieu of or in conjunction with ProcessGuard, but I chose PG because of its stability and architecture. I would not recommend using two low-level system programs (PG + Prevx) because I believe that they might step on each other.

I also use Ewido, BOClean and other backup anti-trojan/anti-spyware programs that I purchased before I settled on the above configuration but none of these programs have caught anything of significance. Ewido will sometimes find a dataminer cookie as will Ad-aware.

I would recommend using PG alongside KAV. If you would like a heuristic program, NOD32 is good, but I believe it is not necessary, unless you like a backup. I think backups are good, but you could use something like McAfee online for a backup on-demand scanner.

Rich

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Hello,

My primary defense is as follows:-

OS 1 - Windows XP Home Edition:

1)MicroWorld eScan (KAV engine) Internet Security with Xbases (adware, spyware, riskware detections)
    2)MWAV Memory, registry and services scanner (part of eScan)
    3)Spybot S&D (On Demand Spyware scanner)
    4)Ad-Aware SE (On demand Adware scanner)
    5)Windows Firewall+eScan NetBIOS Firewall/Remote Access File Rights

OS 2 - Windows XP Professional

1)McAfee VirusScan (currently, will be changing soon)
    2)Spybot S&D
    3)Ad-Aware SE
    4)McAfee Personal Firewall

So far, this combo has protected me very well. As mine is a gaming PC, I do not use the extras. I'd recommend the following also:

1)WormGuard
    2)ProcessGuard
    3)Freeware Anti-Trojan like Ewido
    4)PrevX or Panda TruPrevent (this is not required that much as KAV and McAfee both have good heuristics)

KAV and Ewido runs well together on one of my friend's PC. But believe me, KAV does very well as a Trojan, Adware, Spyware and Riskware scanner!!! So if you don't want to spend system resources and want a low-resource, all-in-one solution, you'd be better off using KAV 5.0 only. For extra security, you can use the programs I'd recommended.

Best Regards,
    Firecat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.