What to make of this Windows tweak tip?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by danielson, Jul 21, 2019.

1. danielson

danielson Registered Member

Picked this Windows tweak tip at:
    https://djfranz.vivaldi.net/windows-tweaks/

- - - - -
    Turning Windows into a secure and stable system like a Linux.
    All you need to do is open the notepad.exe and copy the following:
    - - - - -

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2019
  2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@danielson That looks interesting, but should be used with care. For example, it deletes all the run entries in the registry, which will stop programs from running at startup. Typically there will be, at least some programs that you would want to run at every startup.

3. syrinx

syrinx Registered Member

I haven't looked through each and every line but by skimming it overall it seems to be a standard collection of tweaks to tame Windows and more so the telemetry.

However one of the very first entries is amusing and the exact opposite of securing the system
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/op.../ms-gpsb/958053ae-5397-4f96-977f-b7700ee461ec
    While UAC isn't technically a security boundary, even according to MS, I find this entry worth a drunken scoff/post.

4. danielson

danielson Registered Member

@roger_m -indeed, there are a few non-Microsoft apps i run at startup and i suppose it would hard for a non-geek like me to undo the tweaks.

@syrinx -so far, nothing too serious?
    Russian isn't part of my learned languages.

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

There are some useful things in that but I certainly would not run the entire thing as-is.

6. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

+1
    You could run these things, which look interesting to a certain extent, step by step and see what they do, but make sure to backup your system before you proceed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.