What to do?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Fosiuss, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fosiuss

Fosiuss Guest

Hi!
    My friend has some problems.. I've removed some potentially dangerous application, some trojans, and worms from her computer.. After reboot I can connect to the Internet but I cannot open any sites, or update NOD32, nothing.. Connection runs, but it's dead.. What's happened? How to repair it? Please help me, it is important.. Thanks for your advices...

2. ShunterAlhena

ShunterAlhena Registered Member

My guess: you could try the WinSockFix utility to reset Winsock. The killed spyware might have taken part of Winsock with themselves into the grave. (You'll have to reinstall any LSP using applications, like IMON, NetLimiter and some firewalls).
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml

Edit: of course, download it on another computer and get it to her computer via a floppy or other removable media.

3. Fosiuss

Fosiuss Guest

Thanks, i will try it.. She often has problems with her connection.. that's strange.. Fix is for Windows 2000,too?

4. ShunterAlhena

Yes, it claims to be. It supports 95, 98 and ME as well. (Although I only tried it on XP.)

5. Fosiuss

Fosiuss Guest

I've tried to download mentioned fix for WinSock but I cannot do it..(download manager showed: file not found or password reqiured..) Why? Please try that link.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

7. ShunterAlhena

Here is a direct link. This works, tried myself.
    http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip
    (The other one has worked at the time of my previous post o_O )

To the extent of my knowledge, LSPFix allows you to manually remove Layered Service Providers from the registry (used it previously when Panda AV left a LSP over and it clashed with IMON), but does not provide a reset of Winsock like WinsockFix does. So WinsockFix should be better.

Edit: above Softpedia link still works. Maybe you tried copying it right into the download manager instead of clicking? it was truncated by the Forum engine so it won't work by copy/paste.

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

9. Fosiuss

Fosiuss Guest

Thanks for link.. strange now, it's correct so I've downloaded it.. I will try it and write what happened..

10. Fosiuss

Fosiuss Guest

I have just used WinFix utility and now Internet connection works well. Thanks very much for your advice..

11. Blackspear

Good to see, now that your friends computer is clean you may want to take a look at the discussions held HERE and even more HERE. There are system setups HERE.

12. Fosiuss

Fosiuss Guest

Ouwwwwww, so much security programs? I use NOD32, Firewall (XP), Adware, SpywareBlaster.. I suppose it could be enough programs to secure my PC..

13. Blackspear

I would look at the Minimum security setup as an Absolute Minimum ;) :D

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.