What to do?????

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Sportfish, Dec 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sportfish

Sportfish Registered Member

Hey All.....
    Maybe I could get a few of you to advise me on purchasing True Image. I downloaded the trial version. At one point, I saw that the trial was just semi functional. On another, it said fully functional. Any one know what it is? Also it seems out of the 3 pages of threads that I've read that people are using CD-R's or RW's to backup and make boot disks with. WHYo_O? Is there a problem with DVD + R's or RW's?? Seems like a lot of disk waist using CD's. After all the reading that I've done this afternoon I must say I'm a little paronoid on purchasing the product. I've seen an awfull lot of complaints with problems. And not a lot of tech support. At one point one of you folks repaired and solved an issue, not tech support. In a way I do like this as you have more heads banging out the trouble. On the other hand it doesn't show a lot for tech support. I'd sure like to know that I'd have solid, fast tech support for any product I buy. Before spending the money I would like to hear some more response about what you folks who have purchased it really think. Is it worth going with rather than going with Ghost?? It sounds like a great program but also sounds like it's still pretty buggy. I love the fact that it can be run in Windows as I'm no rocket scientist. But at the same time, I like getting what I'm paying for. Over all do the majority of you feel it's a good buy?? Thanks for any and all reply's.
    Mark o_O :doubt: :doubt:

2. zintar

zintar Guest

If this scares you too much then you should never read a forum before buying something because every product support forum looks like this. And every one also has people asking whether they should really buy the product because it looks bad in the forum. (The only exception is forums where the company heavily moderates and removes anything they consider too scary to people such as yourself.)

I have Ghost (old and post-Drive Image purchase versions), Drive Image itself, and TI. All have some issues on some platforms. All have people saying they don't work. All can get the job done on most platforms (sometimes with a little tweaking). None seem to do as good a job as they could at informing people about exactly what hardware will work and what wont. Currently I prefer TI myself.

As for DVDs if I was going to use optical media that's what I'd use but I much prefer having a few removable disks for backup.

3. Sportfish

Sportfish Registered Member

Hey zintar......
    What are you meaning by removable disks?? o_O Guess I would consider both CD & DVD removable disks. I certainly would NOT say that every product support forum has any type of look. There here for info. aren't they? Whether it be positive or negative. At least thats what I'm looking for, The peoples view!! I have seen various forums that I've received very good info and have learned that if you get a large portion of people liking or diss-liking a product, that that's a pretty good indication of the quality. Happy Holidays & Thanks for the reply.
    Mark

4. rrockingb

rrockingb Registered Member

Sportfish,

I left Ghost when I went to TI6 I am now on TI8 and have never looked back for Ghost. I use this program almost every day and could not be happier.
    All of my customers computers that I maintain use this as well and it has never let me or any of my customers down. Now I do not burn to CD's or DVD's because I use removable drives but have customers who burn to CD's besides removable drives for a second backup with no problems.
    This software is like any other some will have problems most will not as you can tell I am in the most category. If you have a raid setup just make sure your chip set is supported.

Hope this helps you some cause for me TI has been great.

Reny

5. Zintar

Zintar Guest

I meant Magnetic Hard Disks. I've used plug in IDE drives for years, but now USB drives are easier and more common. I've been in the business of shipping CDs and DVDs for years and I've developed a distrust of them for anything really important, but it may be that I'm oversensitized because of all the support I have to provide for that media. (And if you use packet writing, they get worse.)

I'm not sure I understand the rest of your questions, but I'll try: I've never visited a support forum for long without seeing a thread like this. Really never... If you visit a forum for a couple of months, it may seem rosy one month and not the next, but over long periods of time there's not a lot of difference between them and there shouldn't be really. Most people who visit a support forum do so because of a problem. What's much harder to determine is whether those people represent 99.99% or 0.01% of the total users or somewhere in between.

I find them to be worth a look for very specific well-known problems and incompatibilities, and to see what level of help you can get, but I would never use them to fully gauge a general sense of satisfaction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.