What to do?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by kdm31091, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

My Spyware Doctor expires tomorrow. Should I renew it or are there freeware antispyware recommendations that are just as good? I use the ones in my sig, but is there anything I should add to replace the hole left by SD, or should I renew it?

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

if your happy with super antispyware you could buy the pro version

the real time shield is alot lighter than spyware doctor's

3. kdm31091

Any free replacements? The only ones I know of are Spyware Terminator & Spycatcher Express. If these are the only ones, which should I use? Oh, and I guess Windows Defender is an option too...but is it remaining free forever?

4. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

I would go for Spyware Terminator. Has been running fine and light on my PC!:D

5. kdm31091

Spyware Terminator is downstairs on my mom's computer. I know it runs VERY light and seems to work well too, but is it good enough to replace SD? I am definetly a safe surfer.

6. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

its great ST blocked CWS from starting my bro got it on the laptop and it won't even start thanks to ST blocking it:D :D

7. Baldrick

I cannot reply from a position of detailed knowledge as to date ST has not identified/alerted me a threat. However, from what I have read about it on the various forums I frequent it is highly thought of. I would do some research for yourself and check this out.

Assuming that you are prepared to take the risk why not give it a try (as it is free) and if that does not work then you could either go back to SD or try SuperAntispyware PAID which is also highly thought of; runs light, has a realtime scanner.

Notice also from your listing that you are not using SpywareBlaster. I would definitely recommend installing that if you want to surf safely:

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

:D

8. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

For real-time,freeware Spyware Terminator is likely your best option.
    Or you could trial a few promising shareware programs and compare the way that they run for you against your experience with Spyware Doctor.

Maybe SAS Pro or A-Squared?

9. muf

muf Registered Member

If you are looking for free, with realtime protection then Spyware Terminator is the obvious choice. If you do decide to go paidware, then i suggest you look at SuperAdBlocker. This is from the same people who do SuperAntispyware. It has pop-up, fly-in, flash ads, banner ads filtering and much more besides. It also comes with a 'toned down' version of SuperAntispyware integrated within it. So you would get all the realtime protection of SAS with the added benefit of popup and ad supression. It also has a Superantispyware on-demand scanner. It also runs very light.

muf

10. kdm31091

Anyone know of in general any payware AVs or antispywares that are "one time" fees? I hate paying yearly. Are there any good one time pay apps?

11. Baldrick

As far as I know the answer is no...there used to be but they have now all moved to the yearly fee approach.:'(

12. kdm31091

Well I killed Spyware Doctor. And now my machine boots a lot quicker.

I'm using Spyware Terminator in place of SD now. I really like how my machine is quicker now. I definetly am not renewing SD. Thanks everyone.

13. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I like long-term licenses also.
    At least a licensee usually gets a discount for renewal.
    Some Utility programs(Ace Utilities,SuperCleaner) had lifetime licenses when I bought a license.
    That's great as long as the program doesn't die out.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.