What the rock is ad-aware all about??

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Plavi, Jul 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plavi

Plavi Registered Member

Morning all

Just installed ad-aware version 6 (free - latest). Have on the system all of Javacools stuff, spy-Bot, IE-SPYAD, etc. Have never had any problems with scanning. TDS-3 has never given me any trouble, NOD32 has been sweet, and Spy-Bot runs a treat as well.

Ad-aware is a bit of a nigtmare - probably from my own doing.... I installed as instructed. left default settings and ran. It froze just about everywhere: On files current running, in a deep scan of the registry, in a deep scan of the c drive, windows restore and on and on - a whole days worth of tweecking to get it to work with most functionality disabled. Their forum and contacts are quite helpful and there are many out there having similar problems. Advice to those in trouble included: closing all applications, closing all scanning tools, firewalls, some system processes, deactivating hardware accelleration ........and on. I did the lot and still she froze.

My question is.... all other scanners dont require such pampering, especially ad-aware's competitor spy bot = install update and run, So is this tool worth the trouble to get it going? or am i safe with the above.

Many thanks

P

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Plavi,

I wouldn´t lose too much sleep over it. It is nice to have both Spybot and AdAware, but you said you use all of Javacool´s programs. If that includes SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard, then there will not be much to be found by the scanners. :D

Regards,

Pieter

PS Keep an eye out for the next version of AdAware though. There will be some modifications in the scanning engine that might solve your problem.

3. Plavi

Plavi Registered Member

Thanks Pieter,

Too much fiddling for that tiny bit extra! Will follow your advice and go for the next one. Mind you, i must say its a shame i had so many problems with the scanning engine (that being the critical part of such a tool), because Mr Stark has made a nice looking tool which is easy to use.

many thanks for feedback

P

4. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Agreed. Luckily for me, looks ain´t everything. ;)
    It´s too bad it´s giving some people problems and I hope this gets solved soon.

Regards,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.