What the heck?!

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Pigman, May 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pigman

Pigman Guest

Okay, this is getting my goat. I know the importance of Windows updates, but I am unable to download them. As long as I've had this computer, attempting to download any sort of update has resulted in an IE error. Knowing the dangers of not being up-to-date on security stuff, I really want to be able to get Windows updates. So does anyone have any idea of what's going on?

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

What kind of error?
    Did you disable ActiveX for the site?
    Is microsoft.com in your hosts file?

3. D'oh (SMACK)

D'oh (SMACK) Guest

Yeah, my ActiveX stuff is disabled.

What do you mean about microsoft.com being in my hosts file?

4. Pigman

Pigman Guest

Whoops. Changed username instead of title. Above was me. Sorry.

5. sig

sig Registered Member

Windows update requires ActiveX to be enabled in order to work. If you have ActiveX disabled it won't work. You can put the windows update site in your trusted sites zone in IE and that could help. But you need to be specific about the error messages you are getting.

6. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi pigman,

You haven't really provided much information from which we could help you better, as meneer had asked 'what error message did you get', and also what operating system you have, etc. So we'll have to guess a bit.

First thing to try:
    Open IE, click on Tools --> Internet Options -->General Tab --Delete Files (place a check in the box for "delete all off-line content", then click OK.
    Then click on the Security Tab, and for the Internet Zone, click on the Default Level (you have to have ActiveX enabled at the windows update site.)

Now try going again to Windows Update:
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

If that doesn't work, you may find a solution here (it's a long list so you will have to read through it to see if anything there might look similar to what you are experiencing error-wise). Windows Update Fails

If none of the above works, then you might want to post a hijackthis log over in the Adware/Hijack cleaning forum after following the instructions at this link: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15913
    Then post a HijackThis log and someone will be along shortly to advise you what needs to be fixed (note, you will have to register to post in that forum.)

Let us know if you're able to solve it.

Regards,

snap

7. Pigman

Pigman Guest

No, that page isn't it.

I'm using Win 98 (ordinary, not SE). When I try to do a Windows update, everything works fine until I actually try to access one of the updates. At that point, a generic Internet Explorer error window pops up, and IE quits. Following that, the same error window pops up whenever I try to start up Internet Explorer again; I must restart my computer in order to get on the internet again. I have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on.

8. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Ah, so the problem you are having isn't with only being unable to download MS updates, but with how IE (...6sp1? or IE5.5?..) behaves after you get an error message. Might not hurt then to post a hijackthis log over in the adware/hijack cleaning forum (3rd link from my previous post). :)

Regards,

snap

9. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

I would, but the same error occurs when I try to post an HJT log.

The error code, by the way, is 0xc0000005.

10. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Houston, WE HAVE A VIRUS!!!

Well, guess what. After another error occured, I tried, just out of curiousity, to activate Spybot. "This program has performed an illegal operation and will shut down." Well, phooey. Try again, same thing. Adaware - same stupid "illegal operation" message.

Something about this is starting to click. Blocked MS updates, anti-spyware stuff screwing up, posts with HJT logs being blocked... Something nasty is on my computer, even if AntiVir ain't detecting anything. Judging from what's been happening - blocked updates, Spybot and Adaware screwups, and Antivir still working - I think I might have one of the nasty new Gaobot strains. I'm going to download F-Prot IMMEDIATELY, and if that doesn't work, I'll try an online scan.

11. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Re: Houston, WE HAVE A VIRUS!!!

If IE can download files generally then check Microsoft's Security Bulletin Search page to be able to download security updates without having to use Windows Update. However, this will not fix any spyware so the AV scan would still be a prudent step - along with a check by either AdAware or Spybot.

Last edited: May 16, 2004
  12. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Thanks.

I upgraded Spybot to v 1.3 and ran a scan. Guess what it found? Spyware! Specifically, something classified as "Alexa related", whatever the heck that is. Don't ask me why the heck it didn't show up on my HijackThis log.

Also, I used one of the new features, the list of things with uninstallers registered on the computer. Guess what? I found 2 things I have never seen before, and I'm pretty sure I didn't install them - "Chlen-us" and "ComicChat". Both have me worried; they might be auto-downloaded things with viruses in them. ("ComicChat" has me particularly suspicious.) Does anyone here know what they are?

13. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Wait just a darned minute...

Dude, I don't know what you're talking about - that is not Microsoft's Sceurity Bulletin Search, it's a page form the PCMag sight about a program called "DiskPie".

I think you got the wrong link, man.

14. Paranoid2000

Re: Wait just a darned minute...

Oops, got the wrong link (mixed up with a response to one of your other threads) - it has been corrected. Thanks for pointing it out.

15. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Well, guess what!

The exact same bloody error occurs when I try to search for updates!

Don't worry, though, I finally got the updates I needed. Well, some of them, at any rate. I went to microsoft.com's download page, searched for Win98 and IE updates, and downloaded the useful ones. The thing is, they didn't list as many results as in Windows Update, and despite the fact that I searched for Win98 updates, many of the updates listed were for WinXP. I assume that, when they put up new stuff for Windows Update, they'll put the new stuff that you can currently get only via MS Update on their downloads pages. But for now, I'll just have to wait for some of the more critical stuff.

I think I will, at any rate. I haven't actually been able to see the critical stuff on Windows Update, only that there are 19 (as opposed to 17 - less than half relevant) results - when I try to see what the critical updates actually are, I get the error, and, as said before, have to restart to get back on the internet.

16. meneer

meneer Registered Member

These silly programs come ad a bonus with IE. Try another browser. The best security update ever.

17. Paranoid2000

18. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Thanks.

Just a question: how good is Firefox in Win98?

19. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Holy freakin' cow...

I just downloaded and installed FireFox, and I love it! Loads pages over twice as fast as Micro$loth's Internet Extorter, etc.... In general, completely kicks the pants off IE. Simply quite amazing. This has got to be the best darned browser in existance.

20. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I'm glad you like Firefox ...I do also! But that won't solve your problem as you cannot download security patches, etc. from Firefox. You have to use IE.

This might be bad RAM, buggy drivers or errors on the disk.
    Can you please post the entire exception error you get?

Also, what version of IE do you have installed on this box?

Have you tried repairing IE?
    1. Right-click the Internet Explorer icon on the desktop, and then click Properties.
    2. Click Delete Temporary Internet Files.
    3. Click Clear History, and then click OK.
    4. Click Start, click Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add/Remove Programs.
    5. Click Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 and Internet Tools, then click Add/Remove.
    6. Click Repair Internet Explorer, and then click OK.
    7. Restart your computer.

Have you run scan disk recently?
    Have you used system file checker recently?
    Have you tried getting the security patches/updates while in safe mode? If this a driver conflict then fewer drivers load in safe mode so you might try that.
    You said you have gotten this error since you got this box? Or did I imagine that? Or did this behavior start recently? Or has this behavior been around for a very long time?

I don't think this is spyware related (although you may have some speware also on your box). It may be as simple as repairing IE. Could be your AV also. How long has this OS been running?

21. Paranoid2000

You only need IE if you want to use Windows Update - MS security patches can be downloaded with any browser here.

22. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

As Paranoid2000 said, I don't have to use Win Update.

And I happen to have IE 6.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.