What speed is the best when burning CD-R?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, May 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Maybe I may sound boring to some. But, I am just curious if there's a best speed to use when we burn datas into cd-R. :rolleyes:

Coz me, whatever I burn I always use only 8x speed coz I am a little bit worried that error might possibly occur if i use faster speed in burning. :cautious: :blink:

Are there any "effective" speed to use in burning? I mean what speed should be used when burning datas, and when burning music? :rolleyes: :cautious: o_O

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

This is usually a media-dependent thing, and the optimal speed for burning a CD-R will always differ according to the manufacturer of the media and the burner.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am useing Nero 6009 and it will automatically pick the optimal speed to burn any given media or content.

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Yes, but the optimal speed will differ according to the burner and media.

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

My burner's both will burn cd's at 58 times and my DVD will burn at what ever the type of media will allow. But the optimal speed is almost if never the max speed of the burner.

there is no set "best speed"

6. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

I always use 8x for all of my cds I burn, because then I won't ahve a bad burn, and it doesn't take that long(only 10 min. or so for an entire iso, which is an entire cd). Saves me the worry and hassle of anything going wrong.

Alphalutra1

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i usually just burn at the highest, and my CDs work well so far. but for audio CDs, its sometimes recommended u burn at 12x or 8x for the reasons alphaultra1 mentioned.

8. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Thats not the best way to do things. First of all when you burn at slower speeds the hot laser has longer contact time on the area, this might not bid well on certain high speed media designed for short contact time.

As Firecat points out it all depends on the media and the burner ;)

If you truly want the best burns you'll need to test the various media in your burner. You can use Nero CD-DVD Speed or if you have a LiteOn based drive, better would be Kprobe2 and Plextor based drive use PlexTools. Run scans and you will see just how good everything "really is"

no, far from boring :) I do think you ask questions in a 'security' forum that would best be answered in other specialty forums...in the same token, don't go to cdfreaks.com to learn about security. :blink:

9. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Oh, yes this is a security forum and most of the topics should be only for security issues and there are lots of forums out there that specializes for particular topics. I was even overwhelmed by lots of infos out there and I don't have much time to scan them all. But at least, there are some place in this forum where we can also posts some other things that could not be possibly related to the title of this forum and that's why I am here. :cool: :D

By the way, I have just visited the site you've mentioned and its great. Lots of topics bout cd's are there. Many thanks for that. ;)

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Just so there is no mis-understanding given the fact what you asked was a very good question. This site is called Wilders Security but that does not mean it is strictly a Security Forum where only security questions can be asked. As you well know....because that's where you started this thread....We have specialty forums and software & services is just one of them. So Please do not hesitate asking such questions here in one of our specialty forums. As you can well see by the posts....there are some very knowledgeable folks that hang here with just as good advice as you'll find else where.

11. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    To help you out:
    My rule is 75% of max. speed.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.