What software shall I use to build my website

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by berryracer, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I want to build a new website.

In the past I have always used Word Press, but now, before I go ahead and install Wordpress on my site, I was wondering, is there anything better? I keep hearing about this Joomla but have never used it

What do you guys think?

2. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

It depends of what do you want to do. If you want something easy to use, with a lot of themes available and build for a small number of visitors as well a large number than Wordpress should be the number one on your list. Joomla & Drupal are great but requires more resources than Wordpress, so if you have a lot of visitors and your host is weak forget Joomla.

Now if you like Wordpress but don't want to use it anymore try ''News Script'' because is similar to, but more simplified Wordpress like script. It works fine even on shared hosts like Hostgator, BlueHost, ASmallOrange....

3. The GLoW

The GLoW Registered Member

Having spent some time investigating options for building websites, I always seemed to come back to self-hosted WP. It remains my platform of choice.

I have found nothing that has a better combo of security, ease of use, community, and ability to morph into whatever any website needs. I find that Thesis theme is tops for any non Ecommerce site, while Market Theme works for small to medium size Ecommerce sites. I would not use WP for a large Ecommerce site.

The only downside with WP I've found is the steep learning curve...but time takes care of that.

You might want to play with the many WP themes rather than abandoning the whole platform. But personally, I'd stay away from any free themes.

4. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

http://www.opensourcecms.com/

You might find usefull info there and try out a few.

5. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.