What Smart Devices do you have ?

Discussion in 'polls' started by emmjay, Sep 7, 2016.

?

Do you have any of these Smart Devices

1. Smart Mobile device (phone. wearables etc)

23 vote(s)
    71.9%
  2. Smart Medical Device

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Smart Home Sensors (security, lights etc)

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. Smart TV

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  5. Smart Car

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Smart Water Meter

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  7. Smart Power Meter

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  8. Smart small appliance (kettle, coffee maker etc)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Smart large appliance (fridge, laundry etc)

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  10. Other (specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. None

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Smart Devices are considered 'information devices' but also 'convenience devices'. Governments have embraced the idea of a smart infrastructure, going so far as to mandate smart water and power meters to monitor and charge 'appropriately' for usage. Consumers can purchase items such as smart key chains, security systems, mobile devices and/or smart appliances that connect to the home WiFi.

Security remains an issue. Much of the data today is not encrypted. However, industry and Government marches on. Consumers buy these products and are often unaware of how vulnerable they are to being hacked. Standards are currently being developed but have yet to be universally applied.

The ideal marriage would be Smart People and Smart Devices. I'll leave it there.

2. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Smart Mobile device. Sorry, but some others are not interesting for me.

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Smartphone Android Marshmallow 6 which affords some much needed granular control under the hood for each App permissions all across the spectrum. Others before that are on their own unless they can retrofit X-Privacy etc. similar. IOS is out-of-the-question on this end, never owned one, never will for the obvious reasons.

After addressing all the security/privacy crap then one can finally get into the good meat, at least what I like best, automation!

It's my intention to turn a mobile phone into an All-In-One (Hand-Held) Remote Control for any and all basics for convenience such as controlling various switch-on/off etc. controls and save many manual steps in the process.

Hopefully if things continue along in the way that they have so far, that ambition will help consolidate matters into a single variable controller, smartphone/phablet/tablet to run the things that can be run thru applications designed for those purposes.

It's an experience for me on the same level as Microsoft used to be. The android platform offering that framework in which to build user configurable automations at the tap of an interface.

4. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

None. I don't need someone hacking my icemaker so that it doesn't shut off when full - thus flooding the house.

5. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

:argh: :argh:

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Only the first choice for now. That might change when I get a new TV, which are all "smart" the days.

7. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Only smart mobile phone. I bought new TV this year and I went for a "dumb" one.

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Only a smart-phone and a smart TV. But I hardly browse the web on my phone and my TV isn't connected to the Internet. I'm also not planning to connect any other devices.

9. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Just a smart phone, although my Android TV Box basically turns my TV into a Smart TV.

10. Circuit

Circuit Registered Member

"Smart" is for dumb.

11. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I've got smartphone and Smart TV (not connected). Not to mention, Smart Brain:p

12. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Same, although I'm thinking of buying a dumb phone as a replacement.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  13. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I have considered that but it would not work for me. Too much convenience to give up. Furthermore, I need WhatsApp to communicate with those I know. Smartphone can be very distracting so I simply turned off notications for most apps. Battery life sucks though...my biggest pet peeve with smartphones.

14. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

Smart Mobile. :cool:

15. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

So who needs to purchase a new W10 PC anymore when you can have the full version of W10 on your fridge ,,,

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/9/2/12767932/lg-instaview-fridge-windows-10-ifa-2016

"As LG has opted for a full version of Windows 10, you can even install apps from the Windows Store on here, play music out of the speakers, or use Cortana for voice control. While the Windows 10 Start menu blocks out the contents of the fridge behind when you use it, apps simply blend into the translucent display so you can have the weather on display while checking how much milk you have left."

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

16. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I guess that if Windows crashes or something goes wrong, refrigerator still performs it's core functionality? Or does all food go to waste?

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

U.S. Department of Defense boosts Windows 10 by updating 4 million machines

http://fortune.com/2016/02/19/windows-10-dod/

18. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

None.

19. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Just a phone. Don't want anything else to be "smart". Because the hackers are smarter.

20. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

Only a tv here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.