What should I do with my Juniper Netscreen 5GT Appliance?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Izzle, Sep 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Izzle

Izzle Registered Member

What should I do with my Netscreen 5GT Wireless Firewall/Router appliance? It is officially EOL and I never subscribed to the virus updates, which I read and heard were not as current as other software based AV updates.

I started using Comodo Personal Firewall and it seems to be playing nicely on my computer, and it looks pretty comprehensive.

The Juniper guides are somewhat non user friendly and I have not found any type or sample of a security policy to implement.

Shelf it, or are there any hardware advantages to using it?

Thanks in advance

2. m0unds

m0unds Guest

is there a specific role or use that you'd like it to fulfill? where would you be using it? at home? office? if you don't have any traffic you want to filter at the network level (or you have a newer device that does it, or you feel your pc's firewall software is good enough), and you don't have any use for it as a VPN endpoint, then i'd say shelf it.

3. Izzle

Izzle Registered Member

Not routing any traffic, I had bought in anticipation of an offsite office and VPN, but went a different direction.

I'll just stick with a linksys and use the Netscreen as a backup.

Thanks for your thoughts :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.