What should I do to prevent my firewall to be fooled?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by HoLmEc, Oct 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoLmEc

HoLmEc Registered Member

I visited http://www.firewallleaktester.com and I found many tests.. What steps should we do (firewall rules, programs) to, at least, minimize this risk?

I've got Opera Browser, KAV, Process Guard FREE n under Win XP SP2 .. Right now Im using Kerio 2.15 but I dont know if I'll switch to Outpost/Sygate ..

Thanks guys

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

Welcome to the world of Microsoft exploits, not firewall exploits.... Most of the exploits exploit the windows os, or internet explorer. Very few of these are possible firewall exploits, and some even give false positives when fully prevented.

The only true way to prevent them is to use a sandboxing application properly, but the problem with that is sandboxing appliations have a harder learning curve which is very dependent on your machine, along with you actually need to know how to configure the firewall your using properly. Some firewalls have partial sandboxing, its usually very minimal, and isn't enough to prevent much of anything when it comes with operating system exploits.

If you don't know how to configure your firewall correctly, and you can't tell the difference between an os/ie exploit compared to an actual firewall exploit, then your mostly just falling for their bs scare tactics.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2004
  4. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.