What Security Software will delete Temporary Files Folder?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by TheMozart, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I use Ccleaner, but it doesn't delete the files inside, C:/Users/mozart/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary Internet Files/

There are 2 hidden folders inside that, called Content.IE5 and Low.

And inside the folder Low, there are heaps of folders, and files including flv and .exe and jpg files from my Internet browsing.

I was shocked that firstly ccleaner doesn't clean this folder out, and I am shocked that it's all hidden and I am shocked that when I try to delete the flv and .exe and jpg files inside C:/Users/mozart/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary Internet Files/Low they refuse to be deleted and Vista says the files are open in another program!

What other program? Nothing is open. And why cannot I not delete these files, and why doesn't ccleaner clean that whole folder out and how I can I delete everything inside, C:/Users/mozart/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary Internet Files/ ?

One folder in particular is there with heaps of files inside it.. it's located at: C:/Users/mozart/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary Internet Files/Low/Content.IE5/AXXCMSBK

What is that folder, what created it, and why is it hidden and why doesn't ccleaner clean it out and why aren't the files able to be deleted and why are files in there?

Thank you

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Try deleting them in Safe Mode. If unsuccessful, a Linux LiveCD or Windows PE.

3. varunit

varunit Registered Member

You may try using advanced system optimizer.. It contain an option called junk file cleaner.. Maybe it would delete them... :doubt:

4. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

If I boot a Linux LiveCD, how do I mount the C: drive so I can see everything on my C: drive?

5. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

It costs money and the trial won't fix PC problems. Any other ideas?

I thought ccleaner was supposed to completely clear out these folders :(

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Depends a bit on which one you choose, most does that automatically. This should help: http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/mounting.html

7. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

You can add whatever you want, one by one, with CCleaner. Locate the Folder's & add away :)

cc.gif

Check via Taskmanager etc that FF is REALLY not running. Sometimes i have it shut it down like that, even though i closed it via the X ?

8. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I found a serious issue with Ccleaner that I think people should know about.

You have to reboot windows, and then immediately run ccleaner to get ccleaner to completely clean out the C:/Users/mozart/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary Internet Files/ folder and all the sub-folders and all the files within it!

If you don't reboot and just run ccleaner, then ccleaner leaves many files still in the folder!

This is a CRITICAL and SERIOUS issue because many times I have ran ccleaner and then done a backup image using Acronis Trueimage. But all my backup images would still contain a lot of sensitive IE browsing data because ccleaner will not completely remove everything in the folder unless you reboot and then run ccleaner.

Does anyone know the ccleaner programmer and pass this unto him?

9. CloneRanger

Re - Critical

Well that's how ALL cleaners erase "sensitive IE etc browsing data" etc in Normally locked FIles/Folders, in Index Dat etc, by rebooting ;)

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

If you don't want to reboot, try Unlocker.

11. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I am lazy, I rather reboot ;)

But I tested it a bit and found that a logout has the same affect as a reboot. So if anyone wants ccleaner to properly clean out the IE temp folders, then reboot or logout and then login before you run ccleaner

12. CloneRanger

Sometimes i wonder if it's worth our time making screenies & posting info/advice/suggestions etc, if we don't receive decent responses etc, or NONE :(

13. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Because I didn't understand your post. Firstly FF has nothing to do with that folder I mentioned, I run IE. Secondly, why add something to ccleaner which it also is supposed to clean, and which it does, but only AFTER a reboot.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  14. CloneRanger

Well all you needed to do was say so ;)

Yes my bad on that i agree.

My advice & screenie about adding files/folders relates to IE & whatever else you want to add for cleaning.

Certain files etc are normally locked by Windows, & can ONLY be cleaned during the boot stage, before you see the logon/desktop. Index Dat files etc are exactly those types. They can be Set for cleaning etc whilst in Windows, but ONLY actually get cleaned as i explained.

See here for more info http://mysteryfcm.co.uk/?mode=Articles&date=01-11-2005 - https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Index.dat

It's all MS's fault for making things that way :thumbd:

15. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Does Firefox also have this dilemma with hidden folders of browsing history not deleted?

16. tsec

tsec Registered Member

Would this be of any use?

(I haven't played with the Windows version, by the way)

17. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Yes sorry I should have told you that I was confused with your post. It's not nice not to acknowledge the time and effort you put into your post, with diagram etc. It's nice when we put effort into helping someone and they acknowledge our post.

Thanks for your posts, very helpful indeed :thumb: :D

18. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Not sure. But I run portableapps firefox from a TrueCrypt travellers encrypted partition, so everything is stored within the portableapps firefox folder which is on my TrueCrypt travellers encrypted partition, so I am safe there.

But when I run IE using Sandboxie, I have noticed it stores files OUTSIDE the sandboxie folder into C:/Users/mozart/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary Internet Files/ and then it won't wipe it unless I reboot and run ccleaner!

I still have NO IDEA why when running IE through Sandboxie, that some files are stored and locked and saved into C:/Users/mozart/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary Internet Files/

I thought nothing was supposed to be saved outside C:/Sandboxie

19. J_L

J_L Registered Member

That's probably because you've added direct access to Internet Explorer things. Check Sandbox > DefaultBox > Sandbox Settings > Applications > Web Browser > Internet Explorer.

20. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Nope. The only 2 things in that area that has a + next to it is:

Force IE to run in this sandbox

Add IE favourites to quick recovery folders

Everything else is not selected!

Any other ideas?

21. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Under Sandbox Settings, see if there's anything in Resource Access > File Access > Direct Access (change the list below applies to) and Full Access.

22. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

23. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

Why not just change the storage location of the 'Temporary Internet Files' folder to your Truecrypt encrypted container--or better yet--move it onto a RAM drive (virtual disk) so that it self-destructs on shutdown. It's pretty easy to do this in Windows. You can do the same with 'Cookies', 'Recent', 'History', and a bunch of other junk, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.