what security software should i use on my pc?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by magenta, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magenta

magenta Registered Member

what security software should i use on my pc.

i know i need antivirus,firewall,antispyware/malware but what else is necessary. i see form the threads here that erasers and anti keyloggers are talked about a lot.

what would be a good comprehensive range of software programs to run on my pc including proxys etc

2. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Right now I am using Nod 32 antivirus and zone alarm free. I also use Hitman Pro 3, superantispyware (on demand), and spyware blaster. I use Xerobank and I use Returnil with Sanboxie. I feel pretty comfortable with this so far and it doesn't slow me down.

3. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

My box is amazingly close to yours. The difference would be my laptop which uses Truecrypt's system drive encryption.

4. magenta

magenta Registered Member

thanks, what is returnil and sanboxie? deos anyone use eraser software

5. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I use Zone Alarm for my firewall and principal AV scanner, Threatfire for a behavior blocker, DriveSentry as a classical HIPs and on demand AV scanner and Geswall as my sandbox. I also have KeyScrambler Personal for anti-keylogger protection. That's all the security software protection I need. For immunization I have Spyware Blaster and Spyware Doctor for anti-malware scanning. They all do a great job and I have A2 Squared as a on demand anti-malware scanner. One should not add duplicate security software for they will conflict and unnecessarily slow down the PC.

For ultimate zero day protection, I have Rollback RX installed to restore Windows just in case it can't start up for some reason.

6. NormanF

For browser protection Geswall is sufficient but Firefox and Internet Explorer can be locked down with Finjan Secure Browsing and PC Tools Browser Defender alertware. Firefox can be further secured with NoScript.

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Just resist the urge to "load up" with every program under the sun.:rolleyes: Because eventually you'll end up going on a diet. But beyond what you mentioned , you might consider an Imaging program.

8. NormanF

Agreed. Too many condoms maketh the performance suffer, lol. There is such a thing as "too much protection!" :eek: :blink: :doubt: o_O

9. tipo

tipo Registered Member

A vs B thread.... you said you read a lot of threads here..then jump to conclusions man..

10. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Hi magenta - sorry to sound pendantic but how do you "know" and why do you think that antivirus, firewall, antispyware/malware are "necessary" ?

As I have no idea how you are operating I am NOT saying that you need no protection. I am saying that you, and everyone else for that matter, should not assume that they need to wear 4 layers of clothing on a hot summer day.

How often have you been infected ? what were you doing at the time ? are you a high risk user ?

Load all these programs if you wish. Try out sandboxie or returnil. If you don't already then learn how to make system images- so that you can restore a clean system if you ever do get infected. BUT please don't load up loads of security and then incorrectly assume that you have not been infected because you were running these programs.

11. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

12. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

I dont know where your from man but where im at its frigging cold n need 3 layers at least! :D

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i live in canada:D take a good look at my signiture;)

14. GES/POR

I know you do but out here in space man its worst, seen my location?

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

hey whre is the unimatrix?

16. GES/POR

Its top secret borg location somewhere in another galaxy :argh:

17. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Ah, "Resistance is futile."

18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

no wonder:D

19. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

At the moment, who knows next week, I've got Shadow Defender, Threatfire 4.1 and Raxco FD-ISR. Browser is K-Meleon. I'm behind a hardware firewall on my router and another on our modem.

On demand, MBAM and SAS.

The above seem to be doing a great job of protecting me, along with safe surfing practices. My computer is clean and running fast.

20. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi Magenta, The problem with your question is that everyone will give you the software that they use, and in the end you'll just have a list of what's out there. My suggestion is to return to Wilders forum every day and gradually you will see what's good for you. For me it's:
    NOD32 AV, Superantispyware (real time), Malwarebytes Antispyware (free on demand), Sandboxed browser, Shadow Defender virtual, all under Online Armor firewall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.