What security is needed for win 98 on Virtual Pc 2007?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lime, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lime

lime Registered Member

I have just set up a Windows 98 SE virtual machine on a Windows Vista Home Premium Pc and it has installed and is running really well, with all Windows Updates applied.

I would like to know what security software I should install on my virtual drive. I currently have Norton 360, SuperAntiSpyware Free, Spyware Doctor Starter edition, WinPatrol, Windows Defender, Sandboxie, and Firefox with Adblock, NoScript etc installed on Vista.

Would there be any conflicts between different AVs and firewalls, as I will need to find ones (preferably free!) that support Win 98. I previously used Jeticho firewall (free) on my old Win Me system.

Any help would be much appreciated, as I really want to run my old games.

2. lime

lime Registered Member

I used to use Avast with Windows Me, if I installed that on my guest OS would that conflict with Norton 360? How much would a guest system interact with a Host OS?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  3. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Hi lime, virtual machines enable you to run multiple OSes on the same hardware simultaneously. If you wish configure the vm as you would your native machine.

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Depends what you plan to use the virtual machine for. If you want to keep it clean you can simply use virtual pc's undo disk feature which removes all changes made.

5. lime

lime Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I want to play old games such as, Return to Krondor, The 7th Guest, Dune, and the Ultima collection, etc, etc. Most of my other games I have got working through the compatability mode, running as an administrator, and forcing the screen resolution to open how I want. In the case of Lucas Arts games I use ScummVm.

I want to use the internet to download updates for my games, software,etc and also because I can. So what I put on a virtual OS wouldn't have any bearing on my actual Host OS unless I enabled file sharing. As I will want to save games to my new OS I would only use the undo disk feature when testing new software (which answers my question about whether there would be any conflicts with AVs, Firewalls, etc!)

So thanks again! :thumb:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.