What runs at start up

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by david banner, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david banner

david banner Registered Member

Just wondered if folk here run all security programs at start up and if this makes for a longer boot time. It does for me and someone told me they only run AV and firewall at start up?

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    How do you define "all" security?
    For some, "all" security is just firewall and av, or even less.
    Mrk

3. david banner

Hi Mrk

i define all as whatever they have. For example winpatrol, process guard, spywareblaster etc, all of the security programs they have with exception of scanning which they can do at any time

For some, "all" security is just firewall and av, or even less."

But is that wise of them, would one be safe with just av/firewall

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

There are people who have clean computers without running security software :)
    A good read

5. david banner

Thanks will read.:) edit cos when clicked link seems to answer question had asked

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  6. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Start only with those that actively monitor-which for example,Spywareblaster doesnt.

Looks like you have overkill in any case.Less can be better.

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Security is NOT the quantity of program you run.

Security IS the methodology you apply to keep the computer safe - how you do it and more importantly, why you do it. The various programs can be the means to achieving the goal, but they are not the security.

You can have 10 programs and still not know what you do - or have none and be in complete control of your comp.

Mrk

8. david banner

So when should I set Spywareblaster to start? Should I start it manually after boot is complete?

9. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Simple answer is, as said here many times before, you don't run SB, except when checking for updates or, possibly, changing its setup preferences. SB's protection is from kill-bits it sets in the registry, not from scanning or from resident monitoring.

10. david banner

OK see what you mean, I should not have said I run it at start up then, the only time I run it is for updates.

11. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Probably no need to run both WinPatrol and ProcessGuard,either.

12. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

What has caused the longer boot time is not what you have on your startup lists, namely quantity of startup programs.

The culprit is the program which takes longer time to scan your system during boot time, such as AVG AS for one.

Therefore you need to examine them carefully one by one to determine the priority of such requirements.

Take care.

13. david banner

So how do I set them to start? They watch for change and winpatrol warns of new programs installed and gets rid off cookies

14. david banner

Oh I see
    I do not have AVG, have NAV 2007, but cannot see where to disable the scan during boot. I am not sure it has this in the 2007 version
    That is a good plan
    You too thanks for the advice,if you could tel me where to look for NAV scanning at boot would appreciate it

15. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, David.

I do not use NAV at this moment, perhaps some members here can fit in for me. Or you can open NAV's main window to do a bit painful search. Good luck.

As to whether to start up Winpatrol and Process Guard with Windows, my opinion is:

Yes I would start up these two vital apps. Just look at their main window, and to find the option such as start up with windows, then check. Winpatrol's multiple functions will provide you wide spectrum of protection at windows start up, it does not prolong boot time , while PG, I have not used for along time, I remember to start up it with Windows too, prolonging boot time ? can not recall.

Take care.

16. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I run whatever i think is necessary while keeping boot time to a minimum. For me thats av, hips and isr software.

17. david banner

I have looked and cannot find an option to disable scan at start or any mention of this. In an older version there was an option to 'scan boot sector'. Was that it? Do not see that in NAV 2007

I already do have them at start up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.