what price is security worth

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by larryb52, Aug 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I just loaded up McAfee's new Internet Suite. It protects alot & the AV is top notch. It protects the registry from going to bad sites, the whole boat. However it's takes up 140meg ram & the system feels sluggish at best. While I feel protected do companies like McAfee really believe that this is the way to go??,

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

140 MB!! It,s just too much, KIS is much much more lighter, though migt be nissing some componenets like antispam.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

nope, KIS does have antispam. or maybe its beta only? o_O

mcafee can do whatever it wants with its software. if they dont know how to (or dont want to) code a security suite thats light and only uses two processes (like KIS), then thats just them.

also mcafee knows the ordinary user just wants their computer to be protected, and if it can be done with one app the better.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

omg 140mb thats worse than f-secure is.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I want a secuirty suite that you can disable all the stuff you dont want suck as KIS 6.0 or bitdefender or maybe when nod32 version 3 suite

6. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

All,
    140 mgbs :p :( to high of a resource drain for the average users off the shelf retail machine. Poor souls would never know what the heck was wrong. I'd have to dump it. :thumbd:

Hey larryd52, as a point of reference would you give us some specs on your system. You say it is "sluggish at best" on your machine it would help us to know what your available resources of your hardware is. Thanks.

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I'd just add one clarification regarding KIS 6.0, since I know that product.

In addition to being able to disable specific features from the main control center, a customized installation allows you to specify specific modules to install/not install at installation time. This granular level of installation should be the target for all competitors to reach, not simple manipulation of the state of the complete set of installed modules. Naturally, modules not installed initially may be added at any later date (and vice versa).

Blue

8. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Indeed those who do this get my vote every time. :thumb:

9. furballi

furballi Registered Member

That's a very nice option to trim the "fat" from the program. It is also possible to do a small amount of customization with Mc Afee 8.0i corporate.

Some software vendors rely on fast CPUs to overcome in-efficient program coding. They add patches on top of patches to address a buggy program. Noobs would argue that it doesn't matter because they have the HDD space.

A poorly coded program has more failure modes. KISS.

10. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

laptop 1.6, 768 meg ram 80 hd , 60 free...

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Best part of this is sometimes, disabling things don't make them really go away. Being able to install/uninstall modules is really ideal. Kaspersky got this one very right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.