What percent of your RAM should all your real time security programs use?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Saint Satin Stain, Mar 1, 2011.

?

Poll closed Mar 30, 2011.
  1. 0 - Only hardware appliance

14.3%
  2. 1

9.5%
  3. 2

16.7%
  4. 3

2.4%
  5. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

16.7%
  7. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 7

2.4%
  9. 8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 10

11.9%
  12. 11

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. 12

9.5%
  14. 13

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. 14

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. 15

2.4%
  17. 16

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. 17

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. 18

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. 19

2.4%
  21. 20

4.8%
  22. 21

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  23. 22

2.4%
  24. 23

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  25. 24

2.4%
  26. 25 + I don't need word processor, browser, etc

2.4%
  1. Saint Satin Stain

Saint Satin Stain Registered Member

Huntsville, AL and Greenwich Village, NYC

12%

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

That's really dependent on how much RAM you have, IMHO, so this poll should be all over the place. In my case, I have 6Gb, and I think it's ridiculous to let them take up anymore than 2% of my RAM ( 122 or so Mb). I personally think security programs should be the last items using up resources.

3. Saint Satin Stain

I should have thought about the poll a bit longer. I have a grand of RAM, but I generally believe it should be less than 10, usually 7%. Mine is 12% now because I am doing a trial of NOD32 alongside my regular, Prevx. I wanted to see how well they fared. The two of them together, with Online Armor , do not slow down the system perceived by the senses; although I can measure a slight slowdown with instruments. Sometimes I have a word processor, two or three browsers, not constantly all, intermittently, a dictionary, thesaurus and so without problem though I only have a gig of RAM. Default, one using now, SeaMonkey, plus Google Chrome, K-Meleon, Firefox, and IE8. I use them in a clerical manner, so often have two or three open.If I had 2 gigs of RAM I'd probably use 6%. After the trial of NOD32 and don't keep it, my percent will be about 6%. I figure if you use more or much more than 10 or 12 percent, you need more RAM. I use my computer for research and writing, so few RAM hogs or cpu pigs. Google Earth is probably the program I have that uses a lot of RAM.

I have XP on this one. The one that I build this year to install 7 will have 2 gigs of RAM, maybe 3.

SeaMonkey is not a hog; it uses less RAM than Firefox and Thunderbird duet.

You folk, listen, read dw426 and state total RAM.

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Where is the option for I have 8GB of RAM and don't understand why people still complain about this? A poorly coded program that uses little RAM can still drag your system down more than a well coded one that uses more RAM.

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

~5% of total RAM (4GB).

I think CPU and Disk I/O usage are far more important though.

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

around 2% :D

7. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

At this moment, my entire security package is using about 1% of my 1GB RAM (11364K total for 3 processes). Explorer.exe is using more than the combined package, and with 3 open tabs, my browser is using more than 4 times as much.

8. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

I think that there are too many options. The choices should have been broken down into different categories, eg: 1-5% 5- ... etc

9. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I've got 3GB RAM but I like to be a minimalist. I don't think it's worth letting security programs take more than 100MB....the range of 50-70 MB is 'fine' while anything lower than that is 'good'. Anything that is less than 10MB is 'bliss'.

I don't subscribe to the idea where just because I have more RAM means the software I have installed is allowed to be a glutton...

And I don't understand why others need keep on trying to implicitly say "nay, RAM is no longer an issue these days" or something along those line whenever there's a thread on the word "RAM". Come on- isn't it so obvious? If you've got more RAM and you're fine with letting your software use more (for the added advantages), then so be it - we understand that you're utilizing what you've paid for and that not using those RAM would be a 'waste'. However, others don't necessarily have to feel the same way or they might not be lucky or as well-off as you are and perhaps has to multi-task with the amount of RAM available (which may not be as much) and hence, have to be more 'conservative' or 'mindful' of these so-called "issues".

10. Creer

Creer Registered Member

~2% to 3% max.

11. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

RAM:4GB.
    From 12% to 22%.

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Wow.. Must be a record. Would you mind telling us the ram-hogging program(s)?

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Mine is around 2 currently but if i install my usual EAM and a HIPS it would be like 5% :D

14. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

I voted 0% is that possible? I'm on linux :D
    I have 1gb and I think 10-15% is enough for security programs :D

i dont want programs that has high disk I/O activity even if it uses very few ram

15. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

You got that right. As long as there is enough RAM (8GB), it does not matter, if it uses 4GB, but CPU and I/O will allways affect performance, even if it is only 1%.
    But since I have only 2GB and even that is taken by an integrated GPU, I prefer as little as possible. Windows takes 350MB and firewall 6-30MB, that is reasonable.

16. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Encryption & Stenography Apps, browsers, players, etc.
    If all open during the same time...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  17. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Maximum Limit = 10%

18. YanK33

YanK33 Registered Member

3% i think at most, i dont use any resident active AV i only use it on demand, my Windows 7 firewall dont eat that much

19. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

with 8gb of ram id say less than 1%

20. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Only Windows Firewall: 1% - 4GB

21. Saint Satin Stain

I learn every time I read here. I will check those some day in the near future. Thank you.

22. Saint Satin Stain

Some interesting ideas. I was running Prevx 3.0 along with NOD32 4.x and they worked well together, both superb antibaddies. I removed NOD32 and kept the Prevx on this system. So my percentage falls to 7% on a one gig RAM system.

I use 79.72 MB RAM. That includes Online Armor, Prevx, these two are on all the time, but also includes these which run some of the time, so do not use RAM most of the time or very little, Sandboxie, Secunia Update Agent (I use Secunia PSI ondemand, not running all the time), and Vidalia Bundle which I use only with Firefox sometimes.

The programs that run all the time use, Online Armor and Prevx, use 44.01 MB RAM about 4%.

I should include Sandboxie - thinking as I type - with OA and Prevx because I run browsers sandboxed., except Google Chrome.

23. guest

guest Guest

0 - Only hardware appliance.

Sorrrry.

24. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Honestly, I don't care and cannot say what % they should use. I just look at how much it degrades speed and performance and what's acceptable to me.

25. sbseven

sbseven Registered Member

Less than 2% for me with 2GB...

Real Time (for 2 Sandboxes, 1 of them for Firefox) = ~30MB in Task Manager
    • Sandboxie ~ 1.5MB + 5MB per sandbox
    • Firefox "Security" Add-ons (NoScript, WOT) ~ 12MB
    • Windows Firewall ~ 4MB
    • EMET Shim = 16KB per monitored process
    • UAC/SRP = ?? but not much extra I'd expect...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.