What other backup software?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by jon_fl, Jun 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

Besides TI, do you use another backup software? If yes, which one? How do you utilize it?

2. mareke

mareke Registered Member

I use 'Handy Backup' (http://www.handybackup.com/) to automatically backup files I would not want to lose if I had to restore an Acronis image. 'Handy Backup' can be configured to auto backup pretty much any files you want such as My Documents, Outlook Express, My Favorites etc as frequently as you like so that if you restore an Acronis image you don't lose the changes made to these files since the image that you restored was made.

I would hate for example to have to restore an Acronis image and lose changes to my financial records made since the restored image was made which were necessary to accurately complete my tax; records that I store in My Documents and that may have changed since the restored Acronis image was made. Using a good backup program means this will not occur when I restore an Acronis image made some time ago. Handy Backup also has a sister company that makes 'Platinum Backup' which differs from 'Handy Backup' only in that it will also backup to DVD. I prefer to backup to a second and third hard drive to be on the safe side. 'Handy Backup' even backs up my Acronis images to the third drive so that I have the Acronis images on two drives to be doubly safe. I have yet to find a better backup program than 'Handy Backup'.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2005
  3. sandokan

sandokan Registered Member

Not really. What for? ATI covers all my needs. If I ever want to backup my Favs, for example, I just archive it and toss it in my 2nd HDD.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

I've made life a little easier for myself by saving my data folders (e.g. My Documents, E-mail, Favourites etc.) to my backup drive each time True Image is launched from Windows. After restoring an image I merely copy the data folders back to their original locations on my main drive. My "System_Backup.bat" backs up the current data and then launches TI whilst running "Data_Restore.bat" after restoring an image copies the current data back again. Both are started manually via Desktop shortcuts.
    If anyone is interested, the two bat files are listed below and can be easily tailored to suit your own situations. Note: you will need to create the relevant directories/folders on your backup drive before running the bat files for the first time.

If for some reason you can't create images from within Windows, remove the command START C:\"Program Files"\Acronis\"TrueImage"\"TrueImage.exe" from Data_Backup.bat and run it just prior to dropping into TI boot rescue mode.

System_Backup.bat
    Data_Restore.bat

Not very sophisticated I know but it works quite well!!

Regards

5. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.