What OS are you running on your main production machine (and be honest :p !)?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Rigz, Aug 28, 2016.

?

Which desktop/laptop computer operating system do you use for your main productivity machine?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2016.
  1. BSD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ChromeOS

3.7%
  3. Linux (all varients)

9.3%
  4. MacOS / OSX

3.7%
  5. Windows XP

1.9%
  6. Windows 7

35.2%
  7. Windows 8/8.1

3.7%
  8. windows 10

42.6%
  9. Other (select this if you're still using OS/2, AmigaOS, Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rigz

Rigz Registered Member

What desktop/laptop computer operating system are you running on your main production machine? Select the operating system you use the most if you're in the dual boot crowd.

2. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Big Mac (27") OS X

3. Rigz

Rigz Registered Member

I tend to flip back and forth between a MacBook Pro and a Dell Mobile Precision W10 LTSB machine. I max out the ram on the Mac pretty often... I would probably use the Mac more than the Dell if the Mac supported more than 16gb of RAM.

4. Malwar

Malwar Registered Member

Chrome OS

5. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

In a few months I'll be adding another 16 GB of Ram to the 27". Total = 32 GB. :D

6. Rigz

Rigz Registered Member

Lucky.... The MBP only supports 16 :(

I'm hoping for at least a 32gb option with the 2016 MBP release that I hear is scheduled next month... I'd consider spending the cash even with the issue of not being able to easily replace parts like we could with the old MacBook Pros.

7. Rigz

Rigz Registered Member

It's an interesting choice being that a lot of this forum is dedicated to privacy and security (Google isn't exactly known for privacy). What got you interested in ChromeOS devices?

All in all I like Chrome devices. I have about 90 of them at work that get taken out on loan from time to time. We're a Google Apps business so ChromeOS seemed like the natural choice.

8. Malwar

Malwar Registered Member

You can make chrome private and your account private with a few changes it is a misconception really and they are secure automatic updates sandboxing out of the box encryption tpm security chip verified boot etc. The most secure OS oh yea and 7 second boot or less http://www.insanitybit.com/2012/06/02/the-definitive-guide-for-securing-chrome/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9WVmNfgjtQ sorry for the short reply I am on Mobile currently

9. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

Personal and Production Machines: Chrome OS

Pretty much use it to:
    • access websites
    • browser internet (research)
    • cast presentations
    • check e-mail
    • share documents
    I have access to a virtual windows desktop through citrix. I use this to run software for school that I haven't found viable alternatives for in the chrome web store. Eagerly awaiting android support this fall.
    I've just finished the conversation at home to chrome OS for the family. Chrome OS is reasonably secure out of the box and eliminates some of the hassle of managing 8 devices at any time. From frequent and manual backups to periodic updates. The biggest complaint about switching to chrome OS was the lack of native AutoCAD and iTunes support. I'm aware of the privacy implications, but I've taken some steps to seperate my work, school, private and personal life activities. The decisions to switch for the family was more out of a necessity to find something that just works.

10. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I'm running Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

11. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Funny that Windows 10 is the only poll option without capitalization... And where's Vista? :argh:

12. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Guess Vista falls into "Other" category.

13. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

Windows 7. Mature and reliable for productivity use, which I define as computer use that I generate income with. Windows Xp is too limited these days and Windows 10 has too much baggage, privacy issues, excessive bandwidth wasting, and too frequent and problematic upgrades. Drivers are important and for anything that generates income, I just want things to work and I'm unwilling to waste time troubleshooting driver issues every few months. I set up systems that I use for years on end without reinstalling the OS. I value stability and reliability above all in an OS. For Windows, Windows 7 is the best version for that these days. Except for a few issues, I could easily switch most of my productivity work to Linux which has even better stability and makes much more efficient use of resources. Long term, it is the best bet unless Microsoft takes a sudden and dramatic change of direction.

14. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Windows 10 AE, but with some problems.

15. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Windows 7 Pro until it's no longer supported

16. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Windows 7 - reliable, stable and secure.

17. guest

guest Guest

Win10, everything you need out of the box. No need added 3rd party apps.

18. syrinx

syrinx Registered Member

I would select 'other' because I run on EGO, not an OS! :p [I actually didn't vote but I'm still stuck on 7 atm -hoping to update to 10 (one day) but it hasn't played nice on my setup]

19. Rigz

Rigz Registered Member

I've actually run into more old Windows 2000 computers than Vista computers that haven't been upgraded to 7.

20. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

Windows XP (90 %) + Windows 10 (10%)

21. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

I've been running Linux for 12 or 13 years, atm Fedora. I'm happy with it.

Windows 10 in a Virtualbox VM - and it doesn't detect various USB devices Windows 7 did. :thumbd:

22. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I come across Vista computers from time to time, but I have not seen a computer running Windows 2000 for 13 years.

23. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Windows 10 but soon I will be adding a MacBook Pro.

24. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Windows 10 version 1511, the fastest OS so far after having had Win 8/8.1. Unfortunately Win 10 AU has still a problem with my display brightness, but I can wait...

25. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Linux.

Edit your post:
    Linux (all varients)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.