What on-demand only anti-virus back-up are you using?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sweater, Nov 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    At present.. I am using ClamWin Anti-virus as a back-up on-demand only virus scanner. It has no real-time protection scanning features as this was the job of my other anti-virus. But the only problem I noticed w this anti-virus was that it is very slow in its scanning process. Maybe it’s one of the best, but if it takes too long to finished the job then this could be probably be used only once a year.
    What’s yours? Is it fast and effective? :rolleyes:

2. Ned Slider

Ned Slider Registered Member

BitDefender 8 Free Edition. Free, Fast and effective. What more could you want from a backup scanner :)

Ned

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

IME, BitDefender is very effective in protection but the on-demand scanner is slow.

In contrast, F-Prot for Windows or Command will give you good protection AND are very fast scanners.

But don't forget that a fast scanner speed may reflect at least partly a weak unpacking engine.

4. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

I don't think BitDefender's on-demand is slow. I've seen way slower ones, for example Kaspersky and F-Secure (wich I both run) are way slower then BitDefender...

5. Blackcat

Not on any of my machines. KAV, Command, F-Prot, NOD, Dr Web are all, IME, a lot faster than BD. The only one that I have used which is slower than BD is Norman VC ;)

Attached Files:

6. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I use BitDefender 8 Free Edition, scans fast on my PC and has excellent detection.

7. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

A good one is KAV 6 Beta... You have the opition to install only the scanner.

8. Oeyr

Oeyr Guest

What about McAfee Enterprise 8.0i for on-demand only?

9. Blackcat

Excellent, but even better as a primary scanner ;)

10. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Pretty weird to me, where BitDefender outpreforms Kaspersky and F-Secure by far with scanning speed.

If I install a clean Windows XP SP2 system, and i try it out under VMware this are the charts (with max scan options):

1) BitDefender ~7:30 minutes
    2) Kaspersky ~12.10 minutes
    3) F-Secure ~16 up to ~20 minutes

11. dog

dog Guest

Mine is Xtremely Fast ... as I don't use a backup scanner at all now. :cool:

12. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

I'm using Bitdefender Ver. 8.0 Free edition in conjunction with my NOD32. Though BD 8 is free, I personnaly do find its scan to be relatively slow.

13. Ned Slider

Ned Slider Registered Member

I did some simple tests a while ago to test the scan speed of various AV programs:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=93159

BitDefender, Avast, KAV, and McAfee were all about the same whilst I found F-Secure and MWAV to be significantly slower.

I still think BitDefender is an excellent choice for a backup scanner - it's free, has excellent detection rates, will remove viruses and scans as quick as most. What more could you possibly want?

Ned

14. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

Very true, and scan speed isnt everything, sometimes having better detection is far more important to me than a speedy scan. Plus you dont have to be in front of the PC when its scanning.

15. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

really good but not available to the general public...:(

16. Oeyr

Oeyr Guest

So I´m a lucky guy who uses NOD32 as primary and McAfee Enterprise as secundary scan?

17. sweater

Okay guys... I have just dowloaded and installed BitDefender 8 free on my pc and will try it if this was really more faster than my ClamWin AV. As I have observed that Clam scans 1hr and 30minutes on my system... my golly.. but it detects 4 trojans on my pc and I can't believe it that my anti-trojan softwares didn't detects them. So, slow and effective maybe acceptable, but if it is fast and effective then it should be a gold medalist. :D

Actually, I don't make a regular scans on my pc w my Avast AV coz im confident that its webshield and network shield and also its resident shield can protects me all the time, besides it is slow when scanning was set to high, but I only uses the boot-time scanning feature as it is more faster and only takes maybe 15 minutes to finished. ;)

I have to use some other AV for back-up that i can only use for scanning. I'll try BitDefender 8 free if it can really pass my own tests. :cool:

18. brjoon1021

brjoon1021 Registered Member

I was about to post a similar question so I will ask it here.

I run avast real-time. What is/are my free, good detection, easy to configure on-demand scanner options? This includes the web based options like the Kaspersky on-line, Bitdefender, etc...

I just want a good once or twice a month backup of avast. I read that to use AVG on demand you have to remember to turn it off before each reboot. I am definitly not looking for more things to remember. So effective, free and easy are the keywords.

Thanks.

B.

19. sweater

Avast Home AV is my real-time protector for viruses... and now I have two back-ups for on demand only virus scanner - ClamWin AV and BitDefender 8 Free Edition. ClamWin AV is very slow (takes 2hrs 30 minutes on my 40Gig HD, but I understand this as clams are relatives of snails, he he just kidding) but its very effective as it found 4 trojans in my pc that was not detected by my anti-trojan scanners, and BitDefender 8 is much faster as it only takes 57 minutes to scan all of my HD and it founds 7 viruses. :mad:

I am glad they're free, effective and easy to use. ;)

20. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i have bitdefender too. i only use it to scan downloads and not full system scans. although BD is fairly slow at scanning it launches fast enough which is what would bother more.

21. Simon Phoenix

Simon Phoenix Registered Member

How do I use bitdefender as backup without using system resources while not being active?

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

so bitdefender 8 free is just a on demand scanner, will it have any problems running the on demand scan while f-secure is running?
    I do want one backup scanner even thou I dont really need one.
    i am still getting antivir soon its just i still have a license with f-secure till December so why waste money. so i need to know if its compatible.

thanks in advance
    lodore

23. marcromero

marcromero Guest

Why not try the Dr.Web CureIt utility for a backup scanner.

24. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I use the mcafee stand alone scanner as a backup. I download the latest version each week and do a full scan.

25. tansu

tansu Registered Member

That seems the only way..
    Go to, start>run type services.msc and hit enter. There are two services for bitdefender. Disable both. But when you want to update and scan, you will have to do the same thing to enable them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.