What office suite do you use? (2013)

Discussion in 'polls' started by jo3blac1, Mar 8, 2013.

?

Which office suite do you use?

Poll closed Sep 24, 2013.
  1. Apache Open Office

13 vote(s)
    9.0%
  2. Ibm Lotus Symphony

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Kingsoft Office

14 vote(s)
    9.7%
  4. Libre Office

40 vote(s)
    27.8%
  5. Microsoft Office

86 vote(s)
    59.7%
  6. Star Office

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  7. Softmaker Office

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. WordPerfect Office

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
  9. Google Docs (online)

14 vote(s)
    9.7%
  10. Zoho Office (online)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

MS Office 2007. :)

2. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

LibreOffice (W.7),Apache Open Office (XP).

3. Haggishunter

Haggishunter Guest

Spreadsheet: Lotus 1-2-3 for Win (SmartSuite 9). Never got used to Excel. Too complicated. Also, Lotus for Win got the old DOS shortcuts ("1-2-3 Classic"). WP: Word 2013 (64 bit). However, am not very happy. Do not need the new functionalities (cloud storage, ribbon). Would recommend to stay with 2003 and install compatibility pack so 2007 file formats can be read. Database: dBase IV for DOS, Lotus Approach (again SmartSuite 9), and dBase PLUS 2.6.1.5 (Win). Sometimes also Paradox 11. Organizer: Lotus Organizer 6.1. Would really like to learn WordPerfect but think am too old. Also, already used Word when it was running on DOS (Word 4?).

4. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

After trying OO and LO for quite a while I came to conclusion that OO is much more superior when it comes to stability and UI.

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

At work I use Office 2007 (as it was cheaper to buy than 2010), and at home Kingsoft.

6. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

Ofiice 2013 on Win
    libre on ubuntu

I have to admit that I like MS office much much more.

7. UnknownK

UnknownK Registered Member

LibreOffice 3.6.6. Libreoffice does everything what I need. Having a portable version also helps.

8. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Switched the 64 bit version of Office 2013 to the 32 bit version last night due to being fed up with the lack of compatibility with addins. To my surprise the 32 bit version is faster. I found the reverse true with Office 2010.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think MS actually recommends the 32 bit version for that very reason (addon compatibility). That's what I use too....

10. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I tried using Open Office once, was not a good experience.
    I'm so used to MS Office that i simply cant change. :D

11. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Registered Member

Microsoft Office 2007

12. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I'm using MS Office 2010 on the PC and SoftMaker Office 2012 on the laptop. SoftMaker is surprisingly nimble, I have nothing but good things to say about it. The only real problem I had with compatibility was page borders: The rest of the stuff is seamlessly compatible between MS Office and SoftMaker Office. The interface is also very intuitive and doesn't copy MS Office's ribbon UI - that in itself is an indicator of good effort.

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

MS Office 2010.
    I have tried Open Office, but it just did not suit me. Since I am going to use a new computer for at least 5 years I am willing to pay $100+ for the convenience of using what I am familiar with.

I usually get something like the 3 user student edition off ebay.
    Jerry

14. mattdocs12345

I have opposite experience. Coming from Microsoft Office XP I had to decide whether to A) continue using XP version without security updates B) Buy Office 2010 or C) use Open Office.
    I initially went with option B and I bought Office 2010. Surprisingly the entire Ribbon UI was more hassle than it was worth. Coming from XP it was less familiar to me than the UI in Open Office. Additionally Ribbon makes wide screen ratio even smaller and was much more resource hungry than Office XP or Open Office. I have therefore settle with Open Office mainly for it's low resource usage, ease of use and continued security updates.
    Microsoft should have kept it's Office suite light and without pushing down my throat changes that just made my life harder. Same applies for Windows 8 and I have a feeling that I might just migrate to Kubuntu, just so that I have have a familiar set up.

15. camelia

camelia Registered Member

Office all versions, Microsoft Access, <3 Visual Basic for Applications

Cam

16. roger_m

You can get the traditional menus back with UBitMenu

It's free and works very well.

17. mattdocs12345

True, but the overall heaviness on my netbook is still there. And Im fed up with someone pushing changes down my throat. They should have left an option for traditional UI. It wouldn't hurt them. I don't think I should reverse into hacking a software to make it usable for me either.

18. roger_m

Agreed.

Well personally that does not bother me. Though I don't use UBitMenu anymore, I really don't mind having to use software like this.

As for the heaviness, I can't really comment as I've got rid of my netbooks, as I just found them too slow for me even for just basic use.

19. mattdocs12345

Well to be more specific I am using thinkpad X120e, which got 1.5 Ghz AMD single core and while it technically is not a netbook, speedwise it feels like one. However it runs all of my applications quite well. It even ran Office 2010 quite good too but not as fast as Open Office. It has 11.6 inch screen so the Rainbow UI really cut down on my screen real-estate. I guess hacking Office 2010 would have solved the problem but I just decided to make a full leap into open office instead.

20. er34

er34 Guest

Upgraded !
    I just bought MS Office 2013 Professional and it is working fine at home.

At work I tried Office 2013 but since the background infrastructure still runs some 2010 stuff, I had to downgrade to Office 2010

21. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

OpenOffice for me. I have been using it close to 10 years.

I am curious to know why, in this poll, people are using LibreOffice more than OpenOffice?

I realize the fiasco with Oracle and the lack of progress for over a year with OpenOffice. Or, was it closer to two years? And that LibreOffice is now bundled with Linux.

I did switch to LibreOffice for the "down period" but switched back once Apache began developing OpenOffice again. For some reason I feel loyal to OpenOffice since I have used it for so long.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think you've already answered your own question.... :)

23. SnowWalker

SnowWalker Registered Member

Loyal to who exactly? Sun? Oracle? Apache? The developers? Or just the name "OpenOffice"?

Many, if not most, of the developers of OpenOffice moved to LibreOffice, which I believe is one reason LibreOffice was able to continue development without lapse. As I understand it from what I've read, the only reason they didn't take the name OpenOffice with them was because of legalities.

24. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Only OpenOffice the program.

25. SnowWalker

SnowWalker Registered Member

So you're loyal to the name "OpenOffice" as LibreOffice and OpenOffice both come from the same code, and LibreOffice has the original OO programers.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.