What needs to be installed to stop rogue dialers?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Luminous, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luminous

Luminous Registered Member

I've used various anti-spyware, anti trojan programs. Nearly all seem to be retrospective, rather than proactive. I know that there is SpywareGuardian (which I am using), but what is actually needed to stop all rogue dialers?

I think I remember seeing an option in one program that locks your dialup number so that it cannot be changed by any program without your say so - any idea what program has this option?

2. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi luminous,

I don't think you'll have any luck "locking" your dialup number. Since just about any verson of Win I've ever seen permits multiple DUN's (that's why you have to specify one as "default"), most dialer worms simply add their own pre-defined DUN to your Network Connections. Then they typically disconnect yours and dial their own.

I haven't had any problems with them since I installed SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard, especially with periodic Ad-Aware scans (make sure you keep all 3 up to date).

One additional level of protection, if your computer's on its own phone line -- set up 900-blocking, or even all L/D blocking, for that line. Nearly every phone company can do 900-blocking free, or maybe a small one-time charge, and L/D blocking shouldn't be particularly expensive or might even already be a low-cost addition to your existing phone plan.

Best,
    Mike

3. Luminous

Luminous Registered Member

Its a good idea about contacting my phone company to block the type of numbers those rogue dialers use. You have confused my when you refer to 900 and L/D blocking. I do not know what either of those are, but hopefully the person at the phone company will do! I live in the UK btw, so maybe that is why those terms do not mean much to me?

4. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

900= Premium Rate numbers.
    L/D= Long Distance= International numbers.

So ask your telephone operator for joint international and premium rate call barring.

However this advice is flawed as according to BT when i put these both in place (at a charge of £1.50/month).

They said these call barings DO NOT prevent numbers called by a modem, which is the whole point of getting them. So i was just wondering what the experts opinions are on this is BT right.

5. nick s

nick s Registered Member

6. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

some insight into phone modem hijacking. .......

Be aware of internet sites that claim to be "free" or thay advertise "no credit card is needed" to gain access. The site prompts you to download a "viewer" or "dial-up plug-in" program. Here`s the catch: once the program is downloaded to your computer, it disconnects the internet and reconnects to an international long-distance phone number, at rates between $2 and $7 per minute.

Another way that modem hijacking can occur is through pop-up ads. When you enter the site, read the Terms and Conditions carefully because once you accept them, a computer file may access the communications software on your computer and set up a :dial-up: access on your modem to redial long distance phone numbers. "People don`t realize what has happened until their phone bill arrives. In some cases the charges have been in the thousands of dollars",

take precautionary steps such as:

* Turn off your computer regularlu in order to break the connection. Some virus programs wait to start dialing numbers after the system sits idle for a long period of time.

* Install and regularly update anti-virus software

* Install a firewall

* If you have dial-up internet using a second telephone line, have phone company add full toll restrictions to the line

* Use pop-up blocking software or a web browser that blocks pop-ups

* Do not download programs that contain Spyware or Adware (check the terms and conditions of the program)

* Keep you operating system up-to-date with the latest patches and security fixes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.