What MSN Messenger Version You Currently Use?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by arran, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arran

arran Registered Member

here is a list of msn messenger versions.
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_msn_messenger/

just wondering what version you guys are using? Because I am still using 7.5, went to down load the latest Windows Live Messenger 2009 but it is like 60-70mb in size seems very big which indicates it would be very bloated and come with adaware, toolbar and crap.

2. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

The latest version is actually quite nice. I installed it as part of Windows Live Essentials, but I would imagine that the standalone installer comes with the toolbar (as is the case with every other IM out there). The latest version also integrates with Windows 7, so that might explain the increase in size.

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

im using the latest version and its fine, i just used a patch to get rid of the ads as well as add some tweaks and features to its functionality and now im happy with Windows Live Messenger. :)

4. firzen771

no i wuldnt really consider it adware cuz its always only advertising either news or something associated with microsoft as far as ive seen, but i have it removed now so i wuldnt know anythin recent.

5. Seer

Seer Registered Member

I also use latest WLM and have actually nothing to add to firzen's comments (I also used the A-Patch to get rid of the adds), but I'm curious here - I installed MSN Messenger 7.5 on my gf's PC the other day, and it said it would not connect unless I upgrade to the latest. I had to use a resource editor on the .exe to change the version number and trick the network in thinking that v7.5 is v14. So, are you able to connect with 7.5 without tinkering o_O

6. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i use windows live messenger.
    if you get the standard windows live essentials installer make sure you untick the programs you dont want for example mail,toolbar etc.

when I use linux i miss WLM. the alternatives just aren't as good.

8. firzen771

9. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

The latest WLM 2009 Build 14.0.8089.0726, which is quite stable

10. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

A more recent, and in my opinion better, alternative would be emesene. Available for Linux and Windows (also portable version).

11. Saraceno

firzen, I don't use msn too much, but appears to support the standard set, and allows you to add custom ones. Give the portable version a try, it's a little on the 'uglier' side compared to msn, but far less bloat.

sputnik, I'll give the one you mentioned a go, because it does look more polished.

http://www.emesene.org/download.html

12. Saraceno

Not bad sputnik, I like this program emesene. :thumb:

13. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

@Saraceno
    Glad to hear :thumb: If you take a look at their forums and blog you'll see it's in active development. Been running it on my openSUSE box for the past year and I'm very satisfied with it.

14. Tony

Tony Registered Member

@Saraceno.
    Which do you prefer out of emesene and amsn?

I dont use any messenger programs myself but i would like to give my son an alternative to try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.