What makes EDT a better data-sanitizer?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by stap0510, Nov 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stap0510

stap0510 Registered Member

I'm reading on secure data sanitization.
    Until now,i've always found DBAN the best wiping-tool for whole disks.
    But now i've been reading on this forum and i have stumbled upon EDT's "Dead on Demand"-product.
    The market it as being a Secure Erase-product.
    http://www.deadondemand.com/
    But, and here's the thing, although throughout the entire website and their whitepapers they downplay all other kinds of wiping-methods from the DoD 5220.22-M standard to other commercial wiping-products.

To cut to the chase:
    Do any of your guys actually know what it is that their prodcut is DOING?
    Because all they do is fire-of some marketing-talk about being "industry-recognized" and "sanitizing beyond forensic recovery".
    Nothing that has any substance or factual meaning.
    But the very technique that sets them different form their compatition is nowhere mentioned, as that is very worrying for me.

Because there's not going to be any "security by obscurity" for me.

Please feel free to fill me in on this.

2. Overwriter

Overwriter Registered Member

Yeah, it is implementing the freely available tool HDDerase and making a hardware / firmware version of it.

You can achieve exactly the same results by buying a second-hand computer and downloading HDDerase from here.

DBAN and Eraser will equally perform the same if not better than either of the above.

Ignore this product, if you ever studied encryption you would be familiar with the term “snake-oil”. Well this is snake-oil !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.