What Linux supports HP DeskJet 648C ootb on low spec XP tower?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by zapjb, Apr 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

What Linux supports HP DeskJet 648C out of the box on my low spec XP tower?

Want to replace XP for elder relatives because of end of life stomping by M$.

Specs: Asus mb with integrated Nvidia graphics, 2500 Athlon Barton, 2x 512MB pc3200 DDR RAM.

I am most concerned with printer support that's Good To Go. I don't want to fiddle.

I know I can trial Live CDs/DVDs. I'm not sure though I will be able to get an accurate idea of printer support through Live media only.

I am thinking about Mint LTS, PCLOS or Ubuntu LTS.

2. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

The printer is supported by Gutenprint. Any distribution with CUPS and Gutenprint will work fine.

Edit: I'd say Xubuntu LTS. Mint and PCLOS have serious issues.

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You shouldn't have any issues testing with a live CD (preferably a live USB stick). I would recommend waiting for Ubuntu 14.04 TLS or similar flavour (XP Style) coming next week.

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Awesome info folks. Will Linux Mint 14.04 LTS be released not too far after next week?

6. elapsed

Mint will probably be quite some time after 14.04. You might be better off going Ubuntu and installing cinnamon if it's just the UI shell you want from Mint.

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Ok just tried Ubuntu 14.04 LTS desktop 32bit Live mode on the stated hardware. It was twitchy & froze a lot.

So now what distro should I try a Live session? I'd like LTS or rolling distro for at least a few years.

Should I wait for Mint LTS based on Ubuntu 14.04?

8. elapsed

I'm not sure if you can install cinnamon whilst using a live Ubuntu cd, it might be worth a try. Being an old PC you'll want to use Xubuntu or install cinnamon on Ubuntu... or wait for the Mint update.

9. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

I'd say even Fedora with Cinnamon would work fine on that. You may want to install the official nvidia drivers over the nouveau, that MAY be why you're getting lag (see http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=280750 )

Or whatever distro you decide on, just still try installing the official nvidia drivers.

You might want to throw in some more ram if it only has 512, that always helps older rigs (night and day difference). You should be able to max that system out at 2gb ram for around 40 bucks.

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I tried at least 12 distros including 14.04 ubuntu & 14.04 flavors lubuntu, xubuntu, and gnome. Also tried a few older ubuntu and their offspring. And Puppy and many of the Distrowatch suggested distros for older computers. The only distro that had full functionality after a live session and install is Kubuntu. Minor video twitching but nothing compared to the other distros.

But my problem is I don't know how to add my HP 648c printer in Kubuntu 14.04. I searched & searched, tried various "fixes". It's weird cause at least a half dozen other distros worked ootb or had easy walk throughs. Anybody know how and give or link me to instructions.

11. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Maybe try adding the printer through hplip. (You would need to install hplip first).

12. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

hplip is installed. but i cant locate it to open it.

13. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

You need to also install hplip-gui. Then you should find it under System in the start menu, titled 'Printer Toolbox.'

14. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Fixed I think. Too tired to see if fix survives a reboot but it should. Later I'll post about my nvidia card. lol.

Thank you Ocky.

PS: It does survive a reboot. There's a HP icon logo in the taskbar now though. Bit scared if I removed it, it'd fubar the printing. And I don't think I'll forget "sudo apt-get install _____" for a while either. :)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  15. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

In the hplip gui preferences you can tick always hide the icon in the tray. Or r/click and quit.

Also, if you find hp-systray auto-starting on log in, you can prevent that by deleting /etc/xdg/autostart/hplip-systray.desktop

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.