What Laptop size do you prefer and why.

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Dark Shadow, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I am pretty sure the 15.6 is the best selling screen size for laptops.However,I find the 13 or 14 screen size the all around perfect size for travel for lap use,desk top or table top use and IMO anything bigger is just bulky and heavy.However,the 15.6 is still a manageable size its not something i would want sitting on my lap and only a foot or so away for any extended period of time.To me its like sitting a few feet away of a Television screen on my lap. Now with 17.3 or larger basically becomes a portable desktop minus all the wires from keyboard,mouse,speakers etc.

I also notice some smaller more travel convenient laptops are at a higher cost then the 15.6,So perhaps thats why its a popular size,but of course I am referring to windows related systems.

2. philby

philby Registered Member

13.3 always - not too big, not too small.

3. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

15.4", 16:10 aspect ratio because: 1) it is small enough to carry around, 2) it is large enough that 1280x800 on such a display is comfortable for me to read without my glasses, 3) I find that aspect ratio more appropriate for general computer work, 4) it sits comfortably in my lap while I'm laying on the couch with the keyboard/palmrests being better positioned/sized for such a scenario than the more shallow and wide 15.6" 16:9 notebooks.

4. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Recently I bought one, the screen size is 14". Thats the perfect size for me, anything smaller I would have a hard time reading whats in the screen. At the same time, it is small and lightweight, easy to carry around.

Bo

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

13" screen size seems to be the ideal size for me also, not too big, not too small. :D

6. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I generally find 14.x best blend of screen size and resolution and portability.

7. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Most of my laptops are 14" screen size. But I really love my netbook which is 10.1" The screen size is just cute! Nice and small.:D

8. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I think that is like asking someone else what is the best mouse or best keyboard for you. Those are things that you really should touch and feel for yourself to see if a good "fit" for your hands, your computing tasks - and your portability requirements.

For example, I have a 17" Toshiba notebook I really like. And I don't mind lugging it back and forth to my truck. But I do not like lugging it around airports and hotels when flying or on busy business trips.

Also worth noting is the smaller notebooks (at least the more powerful ones) have less capable cooling solutions while the larger tend to have larger or even more fans.

Regardless, notebooks should NEVER be used on your lap - unless sitting on a flat surface on your lap - something that allows air to circulate underneath - preferably, a Notebook Cooling Pad w/ext. power supply.

9. Dark Shadow

I like my netbooks 10.1 to.It took me time to get use to the smaller display.I just got a macbook with the 13.3 screen and it feels like a monster compared to the netbooks that are small and like 3Lbs.

10. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

And aren't they adorable?:D The small and very light 10.1" netbooks are my favorite among pcs. Not tablets, not laptops, and certainly not desktops. Unfortunately netbooks have limitations. I've got to use 14" screen size laptops for work.

11. Dark Shadow

Yep there very cute.:)

12. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Yeah, they are pretty cute but for me to use one of those, I would need a magnifying glass. :D

Bo

13. Dark Shadow

Yes with out my glasses I would have to do a super zoom to read anything,then pretty much everything looks 3D:D Just to think I been using a 10 inch netbook for about 7 months,i wonder why my eye site is going.

14. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

+1:thumb: I couldn't agree more.....:)

15. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Although im by no means a BIG person, i still feel a "10 - "11 laptop is too small, specially the keyboard. :D

16. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

After using a 17.3 laptop! you can never go back to the tiny 15.6 screens!

Now I enjoy surfing much better and watching movies is a pleasure!

The real estate that a 1920x1080 resolution 17.3 screen gives you is amazing!

PS: where the heck is the poll? :rolleyes:

17. Dark Shadow

[QUOTE

PS: where the heck is the poll? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Sorry I forgot to setup a pole,a little late now.

18. operamail

operamail Registered Member

13.3'' for work, and 15.6'' for home use.

19. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Exactly my thoughts, I have several machines in different sizes and my favorite is the the 17''. inside airports and hotels the 10" is ideal for weight, battery operation, and fits snugly in most hotel room safes.

20. Dark Shadow

Thats pretty much what I meant for travel or a coffee shop or laying across a sofa.

21. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Which we don't put anything valuable in due to a long list of common weaknesses, right?

22. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Hey Berryracer,
    I own three laptops right now; one with a 14" screen, one with a 15.6" screen, and one with a 17" screen. While traveling, the 15.6" gets the nod; when I have SERIOUS work to do, the 17" Intel I7 SSD machine gets the nod every time. :D

23. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Well I've traded inconvenience for cuteness.:D

24. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I would say 15.6" is perfect. Not too big or small :thumb:

25. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

As others have stated it's really come down to a matter of personal choice. For everyday use, I have a 15.4" and 14.1" notebook.

When I'm travelling I have been using a netbook, but have found it too slow for my liking, so I bought a 12" notebook to replace it. I would never use a computer with this sized screen for everyday use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.