What kind of Backup software is this?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by applegrew, Dec 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. applegrew

applegrew Registered Member

I installed Acronis today and now it seems to be a useless crap! I wanted to take full backup of my HDD but wow this guy (which is running 2 processes in background) can't even take backup of files that r in use. This means the 'program files' files etc. which r in use won't be backed up and now when I restore my drive these files won't be there! But this is the very reason for which I installed it! :mad:

Furthermore, when I created my Secure Drive it for some reason shifted my one 1GB hidden drive to another location. This partition contains a specially configured version of Windows which allows to play media files immediately. Now laptop is incapable of booting into that partition. :(

So,
    1) How do I take backup of files in use?
    2) How do I re-move the 1GB hidden partition back to its place. (I had taken backup of that partition in my C: drive using Acronis before it was moved).

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Well I use True image Version 10 with no problem at all to do what you want to do.
    I suggest that you RTFM. If you still have problems post back with details of the Acronis product version and build number. It would also help to know where you are storing your backups and the methods that you are using.
    I do not recognise the term "secure drive". Perhaps you mean the secure zone. This zone would have been created in the place that you instructed the Wizard to put it. If you designated anywhere other than free space you will have deleted whatever was there.

Xpilot

3. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

1. Do not use the SEcure Zone. Hopefully, you are backing to external drives.

2. Use an image backup, not a file backup.

4. [suave]

[suave] Registered Member

I've been using Acronis TI for a long time now without any problems and I can tell you from experience that it is not "a useless crap".

Take Xpilot's suggestion and RTFM. :D

Some time, patience and and a little effort on your part will go a long way.

Try creating the image from the bootable rescue cd... it might help :)

5. applegrew

applegrew Registered Member

Well, yes I haven't read the manual, but maybe I am handling the software correctly.

1> I 1st created Secure Zone

2> I then chose BackUp from Pick a Task.

3> I chose My Data as my backup type

4> I then selected the files to backup

5> I chose Acronis Secure Zone in BackUp Archive Location

Then it started. I don't seem to have made any mistakes. BTW I also just created a backup of C:\Windows directory and it got backed up w/o fuss, but backing Program Files is a problem.

-xpilot-
    I instructed to created secure drive in my D: drive which was perfectly empty and it had about 8.9GB of free space. I instructed it to use all of it. I did use alomost all of it (it left behind a 13MB of partition), but it also moved my hidden partition to another location. This partition was visible in disk management (console) of windows but was inaccessible (windows didn't allow to assign drive letter to it). This hidden partition still exists but now it has been displaced.

and I am too is using version 10

6. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Did you leave the backup name as the default one? If so this might be part of your problem, some peopel have found they need to rename this file.

To recap, within TI you can see the secure zone as a drive?

Using the recovery CD everything works ?

Within TI you can /cannot mount the archive?

In Windows disk management you can/ cannot see the secure zone?

Colin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.