What KAV 5.0.149 really does?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Streamz, Aug 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Streamz

Streamz Guest

I just try KAV 5.0.149 instead of NOD32 and kav found some Exploit.CodeBaseExec and IRC-Worm.Generic.htm in my temporary internet files that NOD32 has missed but my be a false alarm I don't know. But what I don't like about KAV 5 is that it takes so long time to scan when I turn on my machine, it takes about 2-3 minutes so what KAV 5.0.149 really does? it deeply scans memory and startup items or its bug?

Thanks

2. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

I don't use KAV, I use NOD. I am not familiar with how KAV names malware but I think the first is merely an exploit meaning your system may not have all patches for every piece of software, the second is being picked up as a generic detection meaning it doesn't quite fit a specific version, so it may just be a false positive or possibly a new version. Try sending both files to www.virustotal.com and seeing what they have to say about them. They scan with 12 different scan engines. Also send the file to Kaspersky to see what they have to say, and send them to either samples@eset.sk or samples@nod32.com to see what Eset has to say about them.

3. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi Streamz

Regarding the startup scanning, it's not a bug, 5.0 is just being thorough, for me it's not a problem, i just turn on the computer 3 minutes before i use it. ;) :)
    Here is link desciping the Exploit,CodeBaseExec, if you haven't patched your system yet, then i would do it now. :) About the IRC-Worm , as it's in temporary internet files, just empty this folder. :)

4. kloshar

kloshar Registered Member

Yes, good, but why is NOD32 so faster than KAV? Does it scann all files like KAV or just these ones which seems to be important?

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Nod32 also makes a negligible system performance because of two parameters: it is coded in assembly and its founders claim that their 16 years of experience in programming antivirus engines factors into the engine's overall design.

http://www.betanews.com/article/1092348349

6. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Its faster mainly because it doesn't scan as deep or as many files(try both on "scan all files" option and you will see the dif in no of files scanned )

7. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Kind of a misleading statement since you can't balance the dev experience @ Kaspersky. Dealing with assembly isn't a unique expertise. If anyone should have access to it it's Kaspersky... all those Russian military scientists running around looking for work.

The other thing to remember is that press releases aren't the best place to quote info since most of the content is posturing and BS.

Also, what Steve said.

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The fact remains, NOD is faster. If everyone can do it, let's do it.

I just gave the poster some info to look at with no personal opinion.

As for bs, -not going there. :D

9. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

The fact remains although its slower Kav is far more thorough in its scans,you pays your money and takes your choice if speed is the most important criteria for you:-choose Nod; if thoroughness:- is choose Kav,I use both with Nod on "older/slower" machines where Kav would be "too heavy".I like both products but Kav gives(me at least)an extra feeling of security due to this "thoroughness"
    Steve

10. Arin

Arin Registered Member

if you dig around KAV's help file you'll see a question "why is KAV so slow?" Kaspersky answers, its because they are unpacking and scanning everything they could to provide us with more protection. so the system becomes slow, a very honest answer indeed. i read the defination of 'quality' which states that a product is of good quality only if it carries out ALL the promises it makes. we shouldn't compare products to find out their quality. we should examine each case and decide which product fires minimum number of DUDs. IMHO the product from Kaspersky is of very good quality. maybe NOD32 is fast and stable but it doesn't offer full protection it promises. yes i know NO product can offer you full protection but KAV and McAfee comes close to their promise. the only thing that should matter in this race is that we should be aware of those 'SNAKE OIL' stuffs ( in ESET lingo ).

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

AV Expert

Default Re: New av-comparatives.org test 8-2004!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tuatara
    Platinum is the Internet Security box = Antivirus + Firewall

Titanium is the Antivirus (only) box
    see: http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/

Yeah, with Platinum I meant Platinum Internet Security.

Quote:
    In the last testresults i read, NOD32 detected 100% of the virusses for the x..th year.

NOD32 is the best in (the important) VirusBulletin Tests, where it has since years always 100% detection of ITW-viruses.
    My tests are done on (not so important) Zoo-samples. No reason to be worry if there is no 100% detection there.

Quote:
    And yes, i (also) don't understand why they did not test Fprot or Norman.

F-Prot is included in the tests.

12. TAP

TAP Registered Member

This taken from KAV's help file.

Attached Files:

• 1.gif
      1.gif
      File size:
      17.5 KB
      Views:
  13. Sisko

Sisko Registered Member

NOD32 on demand scan does not even scan inside self extracting archive for exemple.
    Yes I am not talking about on access scan but ON DEMAND scan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.