What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Ooops...Sandboxie gone? You have awakened the sleeping giant! Get him Bo!:D

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

you will see exactly what happened with greenborder and safespace,i knew that will happen

GreenBorder, which is based in Mountain View, California, where Google has its headquarters, posted a message at its website announcing that it had been bought by Google. Google confirmed the purchase of GreenBorder, saying the deal was completed mid-May 2007 but the financial terms were not disclosed. GreenBorder said it is no longer taking on new customers and will service current subscribers until their contracts expire. GreenBorder was founded in 2001 and backed by venture capital.

The terms of the deal and Google's specific plans for GreenBorder's technology were not disclosed.

The fate of the technology became apparent when Google Chrome was launched in September 2008: several former GreenBorder employees were named in a description of the new browser's sandboxing ability

this is what is left for:SafeSpace
    http://www.artificialdynamics.com/
    nothing........ get real

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  3. imeasy

imeasy Registered Member

Rollback Rx
    Sandboxie
    Shadow Defender
    HitmanPro

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

anyway I hope Defensewall gets a 64 bit system version one day;) :thumb:

5. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Maybe if Ilya chooses the path tzuk has taken...

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

don't say that mannnnn,oh well at least we still have AppGuard:thumb:

7. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Maybe yes, maybe no. In time we ll know. But as of today, saying Sandboxie is gone is wrong, its premature, IMO. Jmonge, like I said earlier, "Most of the people that think Sandboxie is dead are people that don't use it". Thats really the truth.:)

You know, if Sandboxie becomes all bloated or its radically changed, I ll be the first one to stop using newer versions. If that's the case, I ll switch to the current free version and see how long that can last. But until we know what really gonna happen with SBIE, I am staying put.

Bo

8. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Still just ESS

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i agree bo elam,that's true:) :thumb: and time will tell

10. DaZa9

DaZa9 Registered Member

my current setup:
    -Qihoo 360 Internet Security
    -Windows 7 Firewall
    -HitmanPro - registered (on-demand scan)
    -Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO (on-demand scan)

11. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

Back with something I feel comfortable with, Avira Free.

I love using 360 IS but there's just so many problems with it at the current moment that bothers me. Like the late start, the lack of a actual webshield (it says it has one but it doesn't work) just things like that.

12. buckslayr

buckslayr Registered Member

Running new Immunet 3 and Surfcanister. New Immunet seems lighter than before.

13. DaZa9

DaZa9 Registered Member

Webshields isn't that important. the files will eventually end up on the disk anyways, and are scanned then.
    on the other hand network stream scanning has a lot of disadvantages. Ever wondered why so many users complain about lags? problems with streaming video? aborted downloads?
    most of those are caused by web shields intercepting the traffic.

As 360IS is scanning downloads once they are finished. before you even execute them.

14. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

That is true, But I have never had a web slowdown with a HTTP scanner yet (which is what I consider a "webshield") yet besides bitdefender trafficlight. What I meant to say earlier is 360IS doesn't have a functioning network shield (Blocks blacklisted URL's) And Yes 360 does have powerful download protection but I had some problems with it, sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't. As for the resident protection/detection there is a noticeable Lag behind when the file hits the HD and when it is detected and removed. Now for some users this isn't really a big deal but I am a nit picker when it comes to AV's and those are game breaking issues to me. Now if they are eventually fixed then I would be more then 100% happy to return to 360IS.

15. DaZa9

DaZa9 Registered Member

Well, I can tell that I've used every single antivirus product (ESET, Avast, Avira, ESET, Norton, Kaspersky, 360IS, Webroot, GData, F-Secure, AVG....etc) every single one of those didn't fit me (not only detection but in different ways.) performance, usability, overall protection...

Avira is a good product I liked it in some time, but I started to notice that when its real-time protection detects a malware its removal is very very slow I don't know why. Even if the file didn't infect my pc and its a single exe it take a lot of time to delete. That's because no AV is 100% in everything. but I believe Avira needs a lot of improvements (mainly in the user-interface and virus removal "real-time shield"). Although of this slowness in removing malware which detected by the real-time shield, its "on-demand Scan" removal process can take 5 seconds removing "500 file" while the real-time shield can take much more 1-2mins removing single file. I'm saying this depends on my long experience with avira.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  16. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Supposedly they're for web exploits, but virtually none of them work against modern browsers. The possibility of the few being prolific enough in the wild to catch average users and an AV detecting them are both very slim.
    I didn't use Avast's Web Shield prior to 2014 for those very reasons. I switched it back on, because Network Shield (URL blocker) and Script Shield were both integrated. So far no noticeable problems with the new Web Shield though.

17. curious george

curious george Registered Member

What do you mean by that? Selling his software? Didn't sandboxie have 64 bit support before it got sold?

18. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Ilya said that money is the problem.

19. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

CFW, WSA IS and NVT ERP. Everything is set to either stun or kill.

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

how is comodo my friend?

21. kjdemuth

Love it. I've always liked CFW. I know that some people don.t care for it but it works well and is very light. If I want I can run browsers virtualized and safe from the system.

22. kjdemuth

Ditched NVT ERP. Figured I didn't need it with CFW D+ running. I have MBAM backing up WSA. Logical choice for pinch hitter.

23. trjam

trjam Registered Member

just renewed and upgraded my Ikarus license to a 3 year one.:thumb:

and the Wilders discount still works.;)

24. Windows 7 Ultmate 32 bits with Windows FW 2-way behind Router with NAS backup

Execution control & intrusion mitigation
    - Deny elevation/installation of unsigned programs/drivers for all (UAC)
    - Disabled risk-ware services (MMC) and User Autorun entries (ACL)
    - Deny execute outside UAC protected folders for basic users (SRP)
    - Hardened vulnerable programs with EMET and GPO templates

Internet Explorer security & privacy
    - Run IE11 in protected mode with extra privilege / ACL / parential control
    - Disable download/execution of programs from internet (switch 1806 on/off)
    - Added certificate pinning rules for my HTTPS websites with custom Cipher order
    - Filter with Smartscreen, with Adblock TPL and custom privacy and tracking policy

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2014
  25. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

I'm going on enjoying free combo: Online Armor + Avast!. I like OA HIPS.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.