What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Ah I see. Great protection if KIS and EAM works smoothly. Unfortunately my pc goes nuts when two AVs like those get together for a drink.:D Only exception is WSA of course.

Don't like Avira after it messed up system. IE10 is not an option as machine is still on XP.:(
    But thanks for the suggestion anyways. I wanted to get comodo in the mix but with the setup I have I didn't think cmd would make much difference.

2. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Nice setups you got there ichito.:):thumb:

3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

How is it J?

4. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Simple and nice setup there. How's K9 web protection?

5. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Different setups on different PC's. But for the most part.

Avast AIS
    Avira Internet Security
    WSA

Was checking out Norton and Bitdefender, but in the end, ditched them for now. Maybe it was my pc's but both products caused slow downs.

Anyone here using Avira? Would like to hear some setup feedback for max security.

Thanks.

By the way, this is not the only things that I use, just moreso talking about antivirus being used. Does not included other products I have an use, or routers etc.

Cheers.

6. Dubslap

Dubslap Registered Member

Win7 x64
    EAM
    Win7 FW Advanced
    MBAM Pro (On Demand)

Firefox: Adblock, BetterPrivacy
    NortonDNS

All i use at the momemt no slow downs or anything. Was thinking of trying Zemana or Spyshelter also.

7. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Now running Comodo FW V6.0.260739.2674 (Chirons setup) - Sandboxie V4 beta - EMET 3.5 (max) in Windows 8 Pro.

(waiting till something breaks!) :D

8. VectorFool

VectorFool Registered Member

I am using Avira Antivirus + Comodo FW + Sandboxie combo on my system for the last 3 years and have recommended or installed it on any and every system that i get my hands on.

I dunno what the reviews say about Avira,
    but when it is combined with Comodo FW the system is a formidable force and yet light as hell

I am yet to be infected by anything yet,
    (actually i have been infected 3 times in the last 3 years, Avira always displayed an alert but i chose to execute/ignore the file any way, silly me :p )

9. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Thanks Amit :) :thumb:

10. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Thanks lucid for the tips! I've implemented most of your suggestions already, including the added admin account and disabling of the built-in one, although you've listed some Group Policy ones I need to add. Thanks again :)

11. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@ichito
    You're welcome.:)

12. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I'm using what's in my sig.

What do you think guys? Is it strong? It seems fab to me.:D:thumb:

13. VectorFool

its seems great Amit
    but personally i'd never use a PC without a Signature based Real Time Antivirus or at least an On Demand scanner

14. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

My son's first desptop.
    So far I have WSA AV (Set to max), Sandboxie (all browsers, DropMy, restrictions, No delete no recovery) and Toolwiz time freeze. Running on LUA and k9 webfilter and norton DNS. As well as HMP for daily scans.
    Very Light and should.....should keep him out of trouble. *Fingers crossed*

15. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Hitman Pro is on-demand scanner.

16. VectorFool

a very very limited one at best

17. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning! Just installed Outpost Internet Security Suite Pro 8.0 too compliment WSA Essentials...I consider the two an effective one two punch. Love Outpost's Gui clean and uncluttered,and ease of useage. So far very happy especially the Lifetime License that Agnitum/Outpost was offering...to good to pass up. Sincerely...Securon

18. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hey VF, look at this formula, it works well and has proven to be more than enough (for me).

Sandboxie
    NoScript
    Windows firewall

No on demand or real time scanner.

@Amit, nice to see you are using NoScript again. Both, NoScript and SBIE, are worth more than gold.

Bo

19. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@VectorFool
    Ah I see. Thanks.:)

20. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@Bo elam
    Really liked your setup. I've trimmed setup.;)

21. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

In light of the Bitdefender 13 cent sale, I uninstalled WSA AV on my son's desktop and left on sandboxie. I must admit BIS runs rather light. Except for some reason one of the Svchost.exe is running at 92K. Hmmmm Suspicious.

22. zitch

zitch Guest

Thanks I will configure it that way.

23. zitch

zitch Guest

I used Avira with Comodo FW for a couple of years, and although I like Avira, a couple of bugs got past it. I keep going back to Avast, which I think is probably the best AV for an XP machine. I have been using it for a long time, it catches the bad guys better than any other AV I have tried.

24. DrBenGolfing

DrBenGolfing Registered Member

Now running again all MS stuff--MSE 4.2 pre-release, Windows 7 firewall, IE10 /Smart Screen Filter, browser protected mode, guest account, UAC passworded, 18 years on the www, plus mbam and hitman pro on demand scan.

25. zitch

zitch Guest

My most recent setup: XP/SP3/Pro, tweaks include MSconfig/SSDP Discovery Service disabled, UPNP disabled. Windows\system32\ping.exe blocked in/out in firewall rules. Software:Java not running on my system, although Javascript is enabled on Opera, Emet, with lots of .exe files in config, ExploitShield, Sandboxie, with drop my rights enabled, terminated often, Opera, latest update, and I use the phishing tab to check sites I visit, (I think Opera/Yahoo is much better for privacy than anything Google), VPN4All, with change IP button enabled, Comodo secure DNS server, primary and secondary, Comodo firewall version 3.0 22.349 a nice older version, no conflicts, with maximum settings, HIPS set on paranoid mode, Avast 7, set as tight as It can be set, Zemana antikeylogger free, MBAM free run occasionally, and although spyware is on the back burner nowadays, I still have SuperAntiSpyware, and run it once in a while. I delete cookies and browsing sessions frequently, in the Opera delete private data box, and it will delete everything. And also have Ccleaner, but have learned to create a restore point after running it, as it will clear out your system restore settings. AND-this old box is still running smooth, have had it since 2004. It must have been a good one. :) CPU usage normal, nothing draining the system, task manager ok, have had a few registry problems over the years, nothing serious, have never had to reinstall from a disk.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.