What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. abu shofwan

abu shofwan Registered Member

correct,Joe :D
    PFW much better in setting :thumb:

2. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

And waaaaaaaay more powerful with its HIPS.:thumb:

3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Good going J. Appguard is strong.

4. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

You just can't stay away from your beloved AppGuard now can you Dave. :D Ah the love in the air. :argh:

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Correct J. :thumb:

6. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Ah I see. How did you set your PFW Abu?

7. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Totally Joe. :thumb:

8. Arcanez

Arcanez Registered Member

uninstalled both Sandboxie and Rollback Rx :'(

Cleaned the registry manually and removed leftover directories.

Trialing Deepfreeze currently. Was surprised on installation that it offered to freeze all my drives cause I thought Deepfreeze only protects the system drive.

If you want to change the drives that deepfreeze should protect do you have to reinstall it again or can you do that in a different way??

Also created two backups with Macrium Reflect. One does still have sandboxie and Rrx in it :p

9. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

No I cant because its strong and has absolutley no impact on my system or browser speed.Plus I am in virtual mode full time.:thumb:

10. Dark Shadow

AFAIK I dont believe there is a repair or change option in the installer - uninstaller,None that I see anyways. I would say yes you have to uninstall then reinstall.

11. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Then you are in strong hands. :D

12. Dark Shadow

Plus Deep Freeze new version 7.5 supposedly has MBR protection,Along with AppGuards MBR protection I do feel I am in good hands.

13. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Don't they conflict? And why would you need two software doing the same thing?

14. abu shofwan

abu shofwan Registered Member

Limited right for all apps that would attempt to make in /out connections.:D

15. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Ah that's good strong setup Abu. :thumb:

16. Dark Shadow

No conflicks and they do not do the same, Deep Freeze is system virtualization,hence a reboot everything iis back to perfect work order in the event something slips through AppGuard.I cant say down the road if two security softs with MBR protection will not clash but until proven otherwise they will both stay.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i think appguard is strong enough to protect your master boot record by it self without any problem;) :) :thumb:

18. jna99

jna99 Registered Member

ok I've a new setup in my signature. I think I'm reasonably happy with this and I don't think I will add another app to that list for a while at least. :D
    is it overkill ? I don't experience slowdowns or delays when executing programs or surfing the web. To me that's my main concern, that my system remains 'snappy'. I think I'm reasonably well protected, but one can never be sure I guess.
    ow, btw my preferred webbrowser of choice would be Comodo Dragon. a chromium based browser.

19. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

I don't think it is overkill. I just don't know if you really need Exe Radar Pro when you have Online Armor with it's HIPS.

20. jna99

jna99 Registered Member

Hi Tomazyk, thanks for your comment. Well with Exe Radar Pro I can very quickly blacklist or whitelist apps. I can block for instance mmc.exe or cmd.exe, cscript.exe, wscript.exe entirely, not only to block internet connection, but not able to even start if I wish. And with exe radar pro it is very easy and fast and the overview is very easy for me, i can instantly view what has been blocked to run.
    Maybe that this isn't needed for everyone, but for me its easier to do it in this manner. (also it shows a nice popup window when or why a exe has been blocked from starting up).
    I am not saying that this app is absolutely needed, but for me it is very easy to access the blacklist/whitelist via the icon in systray.
    What I'm saying is that, for me personally, I can do it faster/easier with exe radar pro than with Online Armor itself. Just personal preference in my case.

21. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

OK, I really understand you. That's the same reason why I use Malware Defender instead of Applocker, SRP and other Windows built-in security features.

Do you have OA's HIPS enabled?

22. jna99

jna99 Registered Member

yeah, sorry for the various editing. my english is sometimes lacking when explaining things :).
    ehm, yes, OA is fully enabled (firewall, webshield, program guard, anti key-logger, hips).

Edit: I also tried to use the applocker.. it probably does its job very well, but to access the list and applying new rules is just not very obvious or handy or a bit troublesome.
    I have to startup gpedit.msc and then navigate to application control.. and then to applocker.. then to view the list. Ow and not to forget to turn on the service from manual to automatic.. a bit too much for me personally and for you as well I understand. :)

23. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

Don't worry, my English is also lacking sometimes :)

You have great setup. Keep it up :thumb:

24. jna99

jna99 Registered Member

If only there is a front-end program (released by microsoft) to applocker (with password protection) that's sitting in the systray, then I'm willing to use the built-in security in windows 7 (applocker).
    Not to mention that Applocker is great and works very well, but it is the configuration that is unhandy and the not so fast access to it.

25. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

Yeap. Totally agree with you. I would really love to see something like EMET to control Applocker and something for built-in firewall. Then I would go with MS-only setup :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.