What is your preference for NOD32 default settings?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by windstrings, Mar 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windstrings

windstrings Registered Member

Considering most people who buy AV does not understand alot about Heuristics etc..... what would you recommend NOD to set the defaut settings to?
    Things to consider:
    *If NOD goes full tilt and sets to maximum, in theory, they risk liability issues by deleting files that are safe? (Has never happened to me!)
    *If NOD goes to minimum, they risk their product as being deemed "ineffective" compared to other AV programs?
    Is there a balance?... what is your opinion?

***I'm assuming all choices below will want to include "Poteintially dangerous applications" (trogans and the like).
    ***Im also assuming if heuristics is chosen, that "advanced" is included in that choice.. I'm also including "all extensions to scan for"... If you cannot agree with any of the choices, pick option 7 and elaborate.

1. Current settings? (NOD32's descretion)
    2. Maximum protection including deep Heruistics? (disclaimers in place)
    3. Maximum protection including standard Heruistics? (disclaimers in place)
    4. Maximum protection including safe Heruistics? (disclaimers in place)
    5. Maximum protection "excluding" Heruistics?
    6. Minimum protection? (at or below current default settings)
    7. none of the above (if so elaborate)

2. Howard

Howard Registered Member

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I'll place a vote in for every single one of my customers and myself.

Cheers :D

4. windstrings

I know what your trying to say Blackspear..... everyone has a different preference right?

Well this is my point.... I'm not so sure.

I will find out if I'm wrong, but I believe everyone that can navigate the settings, by in large choose very aggressive settings? After all .. why not if NOD works so good.... "and it does!"

The problem is that when the default settings are too mild... those that don't know how to navigate the settings are not being protected well....
    That said... they will compare NOD with other AV programs and find NOD lacking because most others that I have messed with in my limited experience are set by default quite aggressively?

I think it may be wiser to choose what the vast audience or customer uses?

As the default setting realizing.. its very rare when something gets deleted that was good.. and even when it does.. it can be restored with the quaranteen function?

My point is.. why not go aggressive on the default settings so even the novice users gets the good protection that most of the experienced users choose anyway?
    If I find that most people chose as their personal preference the milder settings.. then i will rest my case.... until then, I think it may be a good suggestion for NOD to improve "instant user acceptance" of thier product.

I have read where many get confused and go elsewhere to use some mindless product they don't have to tweak, but luggs thier system down?
    why can't they have both? Ease of use with good protection and also leave the tweaking availiable for the experienced user?

Right now.. If I recommend NOD to someone.. I have to say... but I'll need to set it up for you.... cause I know they won't know what to do...to change default settings.
    I want to be able to say to the Norton user..... just try NOD... you'll never regret it?

If the vast majority of users "don't use" the default settings... then why not find out what they use and change to that?

To successfully sell a product, its wise to see what the market wants... and not give them something else?

5. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

My preference is to have a couple of buttions available somewhere in the UI that are in addition to whats there now. One labled 'Default' that amounts to the current default config and another labled 'tweak me to the max'

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Something like that will be possible in NOD32 3.0, but please don't ask me about any dates.

7. windstrings

Ha.... your funny Marcos.. saw that coming did ya?

Well good... that will take care of all the warnings etc that would go along with "Tweak me to the Max"..

Good to hear....

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Awww come on that takes all the fun out of it, I'm sure you just love all those when, where, why, you said questions... come on tell me you just love em ;) :D

I'll even start them...

When, oh pleaseeeeee when? ? ? ? ?

Where can I get a copy, come on now, pleaseeeeeee, pretty pleaseeeee, I'll come and wash your car... :D

But you said, and I quote.....

:D :D :D

9. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Maximum protection including deep Heruistics always

10. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

No hurry for me. When its ready then that will be a good time to get it, not before :)
    Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
  11. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

ok - but these buttons would be disabled, or simply not visible if the settings were password protected I hope... can't have the staff messing with the corporate settings you know! ;)

12. windstrings

I imagine it will be like before... the buttons are there, but ask for your password if and when you click on them.

13. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I'd vote for:

more protection is better - being able to tone it down is good - having to turn it on is bad...

14. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I fully agree with the majority here that max settings are the way to go for a more secure system.

bigc

15. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Nice thread windstrings.

Thanks,

Chris

16. swoop

swoop Registered Member

First you need to understand the rules of engagement. As stated in the VirusBulletine agreement for testing, the antivirus must provide 100% detection and ZERO false positives with default(!) setting after installation. Well, NOD32 does.

If the probability of adv. heuristic to cause a false positive is more than 0.1% (I really do not know the real number, this is just for depicting) ESET will not go for it in the default settings, obviously.

If you wanna be protected more than average and make use of the deep or advanced heuristics feel free to do it. That wil give you higher probability of detecting unknown malicious code. However, it increases the possibility of false alarms (or false positives :cool:) and makes the scanning to take longer.

Realise, that the guys do the biz here as well and false alarms/positives might not be very welcome...

Moreover, there are many install-and-do-not-care customers. For them having an AV is a mean not a goal. They do not want to be bothered by any "hey, this is interresting" messages. They simply do not care, they just want the computer be up an running (one can argue here...).

If you are a geek or a sys admin feel free to tweak anything you want, but then it will require additional effort from you. At least your IT department will get more phonecalls during outbreaks...

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  17. windstrings

I agree with everything you said... its only those that research this stuff that really appreciate the wonder NOD does with so much speed and so little resources.
    Its the difference between some who like a car because it just "feels" right, and others want to know what the motor is all about before they even get in "thats me!"

Anyway, it wasn't very long ago "and to some degree still is" that folks were just becoming aware that they even really needed AV.. So after hearing of viruses on the news and having a couple of friends telling them what idiots they are to not be protected, they hesitantly go to the store and ask the clueless clerk "whats the best AV?",.. the clerk not wanting to place her lack of knowledge on the line, says.... Well this is the most popular!... .and there you have it.. the power of media!

But my point is, now a-days... most have some sort of AV already in place. Either they got it with their isp "like aol"... bah ... opps... did I say that? :D , or they got it with their computer and its now time to upgrade because thier dats (virus data files) have expired, "OR" they just got a new virus they can't shake!

So in either of the last two "now popular" senarios, they will either want something as easy to operate as their last AV.... lest they regret leaving what they once knew. ..... and in the case of a virus of which they can't shake.... you see a big smile and eyes light up when NOD finds what the other one couldn't!!!

Thats why I think if we simplify this a bit and get more exposure... NOD will take off like a rocket!!!

My only fear is NOD willl become so popular that some big fat giant will buy them out and their lazy, sleepy CEO will ruin NOD with poor choices and bad judgement?
    Because of that... there is a selfish part of me that wished NOD would continue to improve and remain somewhat elusive to the community. Usually when companies go big.. they go corporate and get big mindless corporate accounts and so thier motivation to maintain exellence sometimes suffer because the money is rolling in anyway?
    So goes the demise as many others, as they live off of their name till they die?

I know NOD already has some important corporate accounts.. going by memory.. I think... "Comcast for their email servers" and maybe even "microsoft?", but don't quote me .. my memory you know! :doubt:

But I'm sure NOD will be smarter than all that! :D

18. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

Settings:

1. Maximum protection including deep Heruistics
    2. Hourly def download
    3. Scheduled full system scan every hour after download

19. wayne_b

wayne_b Registered Member

Maximum protection with deep Heruistics

-wayne

20. windstrings

Wow... its nice to be able to do that if you choose for some persistent problem.. but If I understand you correctly.... are you scanning your full system every hour?
    If so.. thats quite a workout on your hardrive and I would expect the life expectancy would be greatly shortened..... thats 24 scans every day?.... also better be sure you have some serious heat cooling on that hardrive!.....the scan would be scarely finished before it started again?

Nod does such a good job at finding them before they even get to you....

Once you show a clean scan.... you can trust NOD to protect you..... I have yet to find a virus that wan't found on the fly as I was either opening my email or going onto a nasty website...... the AMON and IMON do an awesome job at finding things before they get to you!

I do routine scans of my C drive once a week....just for grins....
    It never finds anything!... although like I said.. I do run into things in my travels.....
    I see you are well versed as you have been out here a long time....I must have misunderstood you?

21. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

:D - opps, did I forget to mention the "on demand" scans in between - every half hour? Ok - sorry, the jig is up - i'm not that paranoid - but enough to run two AV's as resident.(Avast and NOD)

22. windstrings

Ha.. funny......
    Let me ask you..... without wandering off the topic.....other than added peace of mind... have you as of yet actually found any benifit from running both?....

Question: Have you ever had an instance yet where Avast found something missed by NOD set at full protection?...

me personally.. I don't do that... but if NOD has missed anything.. I don't know it either.. cause my system runs perfectly?

23. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Always,

:D

24. windstrings

Hi Lynchknot... I was reviewing my send from 2 days ago and it almost sounded like I was rediculing you....
    If that was the case I aplogize, because I wasn't... I was genuinely curious to know if you have seen any real benifit other than "peace of mind?"...
    If so.. I may do the same?
    If not....... carry on!!!

25. scrood

scrood Guest

7. None of the above.

I like option 2 or 3, with the exception of not scanning all file types.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.