what is your LXDE and XFCE experience so far

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

i have tried peppermintos :thumb: (based on mint9 and lxde) and mint lxde and xfce so far very fast and good distros

only problem i face in mint xfce is no auto mount but rest very good distro and lxde is some buggy

going to try vector and arch lxde as well

please put your comment and experience on lxde and xfce so far :D

2. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I used Mint LXDE for a while and it works extremely well, just not on my favorite machine. So for that I switched to Arch. But, at work I am trying Lubuntu from a Server 10.04 base and I have to say this thing can cruise.

It honestly has been so long since I used Openbox that I found customizing a bit tedious, I mean it isn't 1999 and the Blackbox/Bluebox backend has been flushed out. What I am saying is the customization needs to be easier for everyday people. Sure *I* don't mind doing it, but others would not take kindly to it. An integrated tool to do the bidding of both openbox and lxde together is key.

Attached is an example of the pain in the butt.

Attached Files:

3. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Both are light and fast desktops. There's not much in it for speed and functionality. I love them both to honest. Though I do slightly prefer LXDE and that's due to openbox, a great wm.
    The only advice I'll give is install and try them both. Only you can decide which one you like. Try them with a custom install of a distro, you then get to experience the true speed of these desktops.
    Don't let dan maran put you off lxde. With kde, gnome, xfce etc you still have two seperate functions for wm and theme.

4. mack_guy911

actually what i was looking for a install of linux xfce or lxde on newbie computer who do not know anything about linux all she wants to use basic thing like chat browsing web......etc

her configuration is 512 ram and p4 2.8 gz so i was wondering which would be more easy for her xfce or lxde and which distro is stable

so far i come to conclusion

vector with lxde and xfce

or

mint with xfce

also i trying to see which other options i have :D

thanks very much guys

5. LXDE: ugly and not user-friendly but it works without too much configuration. Does need some tweaking for basic functionality though (like locking the screen on suspend).

XFCE: light, fast, beautiful, and complete. It's come a long long way since the 4.0 days.

I recommend XFCE for convenience. Older computers may only be able to handle LXDE though.

6. mack_guy911

thanks for review Gullible Jones

which XFCE you recommend

7. Huh? You mean "what version"?

8. mack_guy911

i mean distro like xubuntu xfce mint vector etc only bases of xfce as desktop

which one you recommend as stability and ease of use concern

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  9. I honestly don't know. Xubuntu 10.04 is probably good if the Gnome version is any indication, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.