What Is With Symantec Tech Support?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Graystoke, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Not that I'm having any problems with NAV 2005, but, why does Symantec make it so difficult to contact their tech support through e-mail? Granted, they have a huge Knowledge Base on their support site, and they make their fee based phone number very accessable, but what if you wanted to contact them through e-mail? I looked through their support site for about twenty minutes, and couldn't find any e-mail address for tech support. I just gave up. Why do they hide it?

I've read where people say Symantec's tech support is lousy. How do they know? How the heck did they contact them? Are they talking about the fee based phone support?

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well they know that by the fact they couldn't contact them.
    I tried few times too and all i got was some generic reply with answer which was already in the knowledge base (and which didn't help me at all).
    Submitting samples to them is also another great story to share...
    Quarantine submission is dumb anyway and if you try to submit false positive,they insist that it's already detected and you can't submit it.
    Bah :rolleyes:

3. jlowell

jlowell Registered Member

Clearly, this company has decided that it no longer wants to take responsibility for it's products. And the evidence for this goes back years, not months. I can recall their reaction to problems with their rescue disk set when at the time of Windows 98 the virus definitions became so sizeable that additional disks were needed so as to accomodate them. Months went by - and not without continual griping by users on their now, non-existent forums - before they actually made updates available to fix the problem. All one would get were non-responsive, plastic answers from so-called support technicians that had more in common with mannequins than human beings. And it got progressively worse. First, the pretense of the forums was abandoned and next came the meaningless e-mail responses to which our friend Graystroke attests. They are perfectly pleased to take your money and then insulate themselves from the hard part of running their business: taking responsibility. Here's one guy who never again will part company with his hard earned cash in favor of this very sophistocated form of sleeze. These people aren't mature enough to deserve your business, sir.

jlowell

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I know their techsupport is lousy based on experience. Recommend Ghost to a friend who bought it. License key was bad. Sent 3 emails, cause the phone wait was terrible, and all three were answered telling me to send emails describing the problem. UGH. Finally I sat on hold on the phone for 3 bloody hours. Finally got a tech guy. He said oh yeah we have been having problems with bad keys. So he emailed a new one. Yep, it was bad also. Duh. Gave friend my key and that was that. By by Symantec for me.

5. Graystoke

Well tech support is definately something to concider about when you are planning on purchasing a piece of software. It's probably a good chance you will never have any problems, but that one time you do, and you can't communicate with tech support........... :mad:

How/where did you find an e-mail address for Symantec?

6. Graystoke

I just wanted everyone to know that I didn't start this thread to bash NAV. I am running NAV 2005 and it is working very nicely on my computer.

I guess I was just a little frustrated about the fact I couldn't find an e-mail address for Symantec tech support. If anyone has it, or can tell me how to contact Symantec tech support through e-mail, I would appreciate it. :)

Thank you.

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Try support@symantec.com - I dont know if it works.

But yes, Symantec has been known for its absolutely lousy tech support, I thought it had improved, but from what I see here, its not any better than it was a few years back.

8. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Did get one (only) email from them once.... from symantecauthorisedsupport@datacom.com.au

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You fill out a support form request and specify email, as I remember. It was a while ago.

10. dog

dog Guest

11. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Don't Symantec charge so much for support.35 bucks or something like that.As far as I'm concerned there are are only two products worthy on my pc and they are ghost and partitition magic(before wreckatec took over).
    If you install any of their security products and realising what pigs they are and decide to uninstall the probs generated would make a virus writer cringe with jealousy!

12. dog

dog Guest

Hi Guys lets leave the Norton bashing out of this thread please ... just as the thread started has asked ... and let's concentrate on the issue at hand. ;)

13. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

The bigger a company is, the worst the tech support is IMO. It's just inherently so. It's hard to maintain a large competent support team (these exact same people who can do the job well are the ones who can also get better jobs elsewhere).

14. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yup. Many of you know that I am a Norton supporter, for the most part anyway, but not of their Tech Support. I can remember 5-6 years ago when Norton was winning tech support awards and they had those support forums; those forums were very enjoyable and you usually had an answer within 24 hours. Perhaps Norton really did grow too big, too fast. :doubt:

Acadia

15. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Removed for Admin review ~ Blackspear.

The comment made by bellgamin in this thread was uncalled for and therefor the post in question will not be coming back. Dog is a staff member and indeed a very good one so do please in future refrain from making personal comments towards staff members

Thank you

NICK [ADMIN]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2005
  16. Firecat

Another proof of somewhat bad support.....:(

~snip....irrelevant comment removed....Bubba~

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2005
  17. richrf

richrf Registered Member

When I used Norton AV, I found the CastleCops forum to be the most helpful:

http://castlecops.com/f80-Norton_Anti_Virus.html

But one of the primary reasons I moved away from Norton was the inability to get prompt assistance when I was in a pickle.

Rich

18. Graystoke

Thanks to everyone who offered their help.

Dog provided the link I was looking for. Thanks dog. :)

19. Firecat

I'll keep that link in mind for my friends. Thanks from me too, dog (And I'm sorry if the irrelevant content on my previous post was offensive in any way, I didnt mean it). :)

@Graystroke: Please do keep us informed of the quality of support, response time etc. :)

20. Graystoke

Firecat........I would, but I am seriously concidering going back to using KAV 5 again. I'm not having any problems with the way NAV 2005 is running on my computer, it's just that I only had KAV running on my computer for about 3 weeks before I switched over to NAV again. I feel bad because of all the nice people who took the time to help me with my question. I just keep thinking I need to run KAV 5 again.

21. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Don't feel bad, we are here to help and advise, from which you can make decisions that suite your needs.

Cheers :D

22. Firecat

If you have already submitted your question to Symantec, then you just switch back to KAV and wait for Symantec's reply. :)

KAV is a very good AV, and for me, its better than Norton because KAV offers better value for money (This does not mean NAV is bad).

23. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

One post removed pending administrative review.

Admin review - basically this post was a subtle attempt at advertising a rogue application, which is against our TOS. The post will not be returning - snap

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2005
  24. Graystoke

Thank you Blackspear. :)

25. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

My pleasure.

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.